Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2026, 01:52:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Big Game fish clip question  (Read 8070 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

kardinal_84

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Location: Anchorage, AK
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
  • Posts: 4216
All my carabiner fails stories come from powerboats who use them for shrimp pots. Happens more than you'd like to think.

A lot of the veteran use something like the pic below  Doesn't look anywhere near as secure but nobody I know of has ever lost a pot due to this connection.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com


Lee

  • Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Location: Graham, WA
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
  • Posts: 6091
Yeah,  my carabiner fails are from leaving live fish on the stringer and them death rolling until they bind the line against the carabiner and it opens.   I only use lockers now,  abs just cause they were sitting around collecting dust.   Dog style clips are superior for our situation.
 


Captain Redbeard

  • Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • Location: Portland, OR
  • Date Registered: May 2013
  • Posts: 3348
Does anyone have concerns about sea lions going after fish on the clips.? I don't fish bottom fish too much but salmon I put in a garbage bag and slide it into my forward hatch. Maybe I'm too paranoid.
T2

I soak my fish until it's time to go in. But if I see sea lions nearby I pull them up until they move on. A few times I've had to move because a sea lion was acting territorial, barking at me and stuff like that. They usually lose interest after you wander off.

I think it's a lot different in different locations, though. Understanding the sea lion and/or shark activity where you are fishing is probably important; I doubt my way is safe in a lot of other situations.


Lee

  • Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Location: Graham, WA
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
  • Posts: 6091
I always soak bottom fish; however, salmon are immediately bled,  then thrown into my KoneZone cooler.
 


Captain Redbeard

  • Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • Location: Portland, OR
  • Date Registered: May 2013
  • Posts: 3348
I always soak bottom fish; however, salmon are immediately bled,  then thrown into my KoneZone cooler.

Yeah, good call, I should have been more specific. I was talking about rockfish/lingcod/cabezon. I also bleed those fish, but I let them soak.


 

anything