Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2026, 11:45:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Anyone use a Ranger Big Game net?  (Read 3676 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlexB

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • Location: Bay Area, CA
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
  • Posts: 136
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new net. Options are pretty limited locally, so I'll probably have to order one off the web.

It'll be used almost exclusively for chinook salmon; everything else gets stuck with a gaff.

I've had my eye on the 34"x30" Ranger Big Game net with the octagon handle:



Since I won't be able to hold the thing in my hand before ordering, I'm curious to hear from anyone who's used one.

Are they heavy?

Durable?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

~Alex


AlexB

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • Location: Bay Area, CA
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
  • Posts: 136
Well scratch that idea...

I found this killer 54% off deal on the original Beckman net:

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=46548536&cp=4406646.4413993.4414792.23087096.12971106

Hopefully I'll like it. I've heard a lot of praise for these nets.


bb2fish

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Oregon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 1501
Just got a Ranger net 34x32" basket - 4ft fiberglass handle - pretty light weight...ready for that 40 pounder this year!  I bought it used, but that just means it has experience.


AlexB

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • Location: Bay Area, CA
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
  • Posts: 136
Good stuff. Let us know how it works, and I'll do the same when I try out my Beckman.

I think I scored the last big Beckman net Dicks had in stock, and as far as I know they aren't made anymore? Could be wrong...


AlexB

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • Location: Bay Area, CA
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
  • Posts: 136
Well, Dick's couldn't find that net in their warehouse, so I'm back to square one... Might order one of those Rangers after all...


AlexB

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • Location: Bay Area, CA
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
  • Posts: 136
Ordered up a Frabill 29"x34" net with a 48" deep tangle-free weighted bag off Amazon Prime for $30.73 with no tax and free shipping.

The list price on Frabill's site is $144.99, so I guess I got it at about a 79% discount. Not too shabby.

Should work fine, and if it doesn't, I'm only out $30.


bb2fish

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Oregon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 1501
now we want to see something fishy IN that new net of yours!


AlexB

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • Location: Bay Area, CA
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
  • Posts: 136
Gonna have to wait 'til salmon opens in April!


 

anything