Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2026, 11:35:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:00:20 AM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Live baiting PC lings  (Read 4098 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ZeeHawk

  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Location: Seattle, WA
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
  • Posts: 5506
Good job out there. I've tried live baiting greenling for lingcod for hours and hours and I've never gotten a hit. I must be doing something wrong.
Like real estate, location, location, location. Lings aren't very shy if they're around. Also take a look at tide/current as well. That can make a big difference.
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy


Captain Redbeard

  • Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • Location: Portland, OR
  • Date Registered: May 2013
  • Posts: 3348
Good job out there. I've tried live baiting greenling for lingcod for hours and hours and I've never gotten a hit. I must be doing something wrong.
Like real estate, location, location, location. Lings aren't very shy if they're around. Also take a look at tide/current as well. That can make a big difference.

Any tips on what tidal or current conditions to target?

I agree on location and aggression. The places I live-baited at PC were places I regularly catch lings with no issues on artificials. I was hoping to attract larger fish with the live bait. I've caught a few lings out there on herring and whole trout (frozen) but never on live greenling.


ZeeHawk

  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Location: Seattle, WA
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
  • Posts: 5506
Any tips on what tidal or current conditions to target?
I think it's different from place to place. If there is any kind of general rule I'd say that it's just before/after a current/tide swing change.


The places I live-baited at PC were places I regularly catch lings with no issues on artificials. I was hoping to attract larger fish with the live bait. I've caught a few lings out there on herring and whole trout (frozen) but never on live greenling.
I think the question isn't whether or not there's lings there but more if there's big lings there. Explore new and fertile grounds grasshopper.
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy