Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2026, 03:11:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Check those rod guides!  (Read 3273 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

rimfirematt

  • Salmon
  • ******
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Location: Eagle River, Ak
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 658
This is something I don't normally check. I wouldn't have seen it but I bent my guide and while attempting to straighten it I noticed these grooves. This is a old rod, probably caused by braid line? Anyway this is the same rod I used last weekend to catch my kings and a halibut. Luck played a huge part as well as using 30 lb test line getting those in


kardinal_84

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Location: Anchorage, AK
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
  • Posts: 4216
Holy cow. Better get them changed. I can just about guaranty Murphy's law will strike and your next hook up will be that 100 pound halibut!!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com


polyangler

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Lacey, WA
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
  • Posts: 1844
Yup, braided line can play hell on some older guides. Might as well have been a hacksaw!
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod