Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2026, 10:07:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Deacon Rockfish  (Read 2779 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bsteves

  • Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • Better fishing through science
  • Location: Portland, OR
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
  • Posts: 4584
A quick reminder of the updated Oregon rockfish regs for 2015...

Your daily limit of 7 rockfish can only include up to 3 blue rockfish.

However, a new species of rockfish has been identified and it looks a lot like a blue rockfish.

http://fishbull.noaa.gov/1134/frable.pdf

The new rockfish has the common name "deacon rockfish" and is known scientifically as "Sebastes diaconus". The blue rockfish remains "Sebastes mystinus".

The differences are mostly based on genetics, but here is one possible morphometric difference, the lower lip protrudes a bit more than the blue rockfish.

I can't find the legal definition of a "blue rockfish", but I'm guessing the wardens aren't going to buy my attempt to use science to explain why I had more than more than my limit of blue rockfish.

Brian

(images from BW Frable et al. 2015 (the paper))


“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh


Warf

  • Perch
  • ***
  • Location: St. Maries, Idaho
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
  • Posts: 81
The game cop will say "it's blue and it's a rock fish so sign here, period"...lol..


Captain Redbeard

  • Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • Location: Portland, OR
  • Date Registered: May 2013
  • Posts: 3348
Rats. I thought Deacon Rockfish was going to be your new title, in place of "Fish Nerd."

Yea let us gather together, and hear the word, take it away, Deacon Rockfish!


bsteves

  • Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • Better fishing through science
  • Location: Portland, OR
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
  • Posts: 4584
Rats. I thought Deacon Rockfish was going to be your new title, in place of "Fish Nerd."

Yea let us gather together, and hear the word, take it away, Deacon Rockfish!

No, I'm no deacon.  Though...I am the council president of a Lutheran congregation.  However, living in SE Portland, I mostly wear that title ironically.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh


Mojo Jojo

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Location: Tillamook, Oregon
  • Date Registered: May 2014
  • Posts: 6083
Rats. I thought Deacon Rockfish was going to be your new title, in place of "Fish Nerd."

Yea let us gather together, and hear the word, take it away, Deacon Rockfish!

No, I'm no deacon.  Though...I am the council president of a Lutheran congregation.  However, living in SE Portland, I mostly wear that title ironically.
I'm pretty sure you are the "deacon" of fish anyways at least for this crowd.  ;D



Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”