Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2026, 07:21:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Fish question  (Read 5367 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Aperlmut

  • Krill
  • *
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
  • Posts: 15
Anyone know what kind of fish this is?  Dumb question I'm sure but I've never seen it before...


boxofrain

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Brookings, Or.
  • Date Registered: May 2006
  • Posts: 1015
MMMMMMM, a tasty dock cod!
 Ling cod is always tasty.
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.


rogerdodger

  • Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • roger
  • Location: Florence OR
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 1649
looks like a lingcod to me, teal color around the mouth screams lingcod, in Oregon the minimum size to retain these is 22". 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:59:57 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)



Trident 13

  • Salmon
  • ******
  • Location: Kent
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
  • Posts: 791
What was the size and how many teeth past the lips?  If not a ling, which is a good bet, if it's smaller and a softer type mouth maybe a sculpin?


bsteves

  • Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • Better fishing through science
  • Location: Portland, OR
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
  • Posts: 4584
It's not a lingcod, it's a sculpin.    Not enough detail to identify it further.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh


surf12foot

  • Lingcod
  • *****
  • Location: North Bend Oregon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
  • Posts: 487
2nd that, a sculpin.
Scott


boxofrain

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Brookings, Or.
  • Date Registered: May 2006
  • Posts: 1015
It's not a lingcod, it's a sculpin.    Not enough detail to identify it further.

hmmm....looks like ling cod....smells like ling cod....taste!... taste like sculpin...hmmm, good thing we no step in.
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.


bb2fish

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Oregon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 1501
What's the differentiating feature that you see which makes the original poster's fish a sculpin and not a ling cod??   I wish I was that good at fish ID!!


polyangler

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Lacey, WA
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
  • Posts: 1844
What's the differentiating feature that you see which makes the original poster's fish a sculpin and not a ling cod??   I wish I was that good at fish ID!!
It's a sculpin. Placement of the eyes, head shape and the extra long spines at the top of the operculum (gill plate) were the first things that cued me in. Not all sculpin are created equal, but from what I see here I'd call it a Pacific Staghorn sculpin.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod


polyangler

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Lacey, WA
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
  • Posts: 1844
Second look, scratch the spines/Pacific Staghorn. I mistook the fin ray as a spine at a glance. Eye placement/head shape stand though

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod