Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2026, 09:29:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:54:03 AM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: BOUGHT NEW GEAR... Crab/Prawn Trap and PFD  (Read 4012 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PetitPoisson

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • Location: Victoria, BC
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
  • Posts: 105
After much debate I settled on my new PFD.  The PFD's I have for our old canoe are ridiculously uncomfortable in the kayak.  I've read a ton of reviews and was able to narrow it down to a handful.  I dropped past a local shop here on the Island and they had a Stohlquist Fisherman in my size (I'm on the cusp of the S/M size chart).  So I took their life jacket over to their clothing section and put on a sweatshirt over top my T-shirt and then a rain jacket over top of that...  It still fit with a little room to spare if I ever need it  :D.  I figure my wetsuit and a windbreaker will be pretty close to the same size.  In the  shopping cart it went!  Cant wait to get it wet!

Walking past the crab traps.  There was a fold down kayak sized trap in a style I had not previously seen before.  Apparently it works for both prawns and crab.  The trap is from a company local to the Island (I like that) called the Jolly Good Trap Co.  I asked the salesman about it and was told they sell more of this trap than any other.

http://www.jollygoodtrap.com/

No intention of directing any business away from site sponsors.  However, a close look at the company website indicates there are no suppliers of their product in the USA and they are welcoming dealer inquiries.  They are a bit pricey (what isn't) but if it works as well as I'm lead to believe...  it's worth it to me.
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)


no_oil_needed

  • Lingcod
  • *****
  • Location: Lake Washington
  • Date Registered: May 2013
  • Posts: 256
I like the look of those traps, but the Washington state rules require crab pots to have a rot/escape cord and two 4.25" escape rings. I did not see those features in the pictures, but it seems like it would be easy enough to customize the pot to meet those rules. I did not read Alaska's, Oregon's, or California's rules.

Post some more pictures when you get some crab in them.
Relax. You'll live longer.


Chromer

  • Perch
  • ***
  • Location: Bellevue Washington
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
  • Posts: 76