Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2026, 11:54:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 02, 2026, 10:54:03 AM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Hobie Reverse Drives?  (Read 4349 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Location: The Gorge
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
  • Posts: 709
I was interested for any feedback or comments from anyone who has had a chance to fish the new Hobie drives... Worth the upgrade?

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."


uplandsandpiper

  • Guest
I've had mine for about 1 year. I love it. I thought it would be useful primarily for bass fishing but it is incredibly handy when fighting Kings, I can dictate the fight a lot better.

I've not experienced any major mechanical failures and I would say I fish more and harder than most kayak anglers in the region. Its a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion and a game changer if you fish for bass, reef fish, or other methods where holding position or backing in and out of tight spaces is part of the game.


Casey

  • Salmon
  • ******
  • Location: Salem Oregon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
  • Posts: 520
I got my first pedaling kayak a couple months back, it came with a reverse drive and I couldn't imagine not having it. It seems like a person would need their paddle in there lap often without reverse, not so hands free


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


rawkfish

  • ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • *
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Location: Portland
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
  • Posts: 4731
I really like mine.  It is awesome for backing into a light current to hold a position.
                
2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson


TALL FORCE

  • Perch
  • ***
  • Location: Anchorage, AK
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
  • Posts: 65
When I bought my hobie I actually asked if I could get an older drive system, I thought the reverse was foolish. Boy was I wrong, I love it.
"You will not catch anything with your hook out of the water, well nothing worth keeping anyway."


onefish

  • Lingcod
  • *****
  • Location: Bend & Pacific City
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
  • Posts: 378
Anyone have any information on the new arc cranks on the 2018 models?  I was about to get a 180 drive recently, but it seems like waiting on a final version of this thing may be the way to go.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61528

https://www.hobie.com/miragedrive180/

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 04:36:25 PM by onefish »
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku