Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2026, 02:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Magic seaweed alternatives.  (Read 12097 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Clayman

  • Salmon
  • ******
  • Location: Newport, OR
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
  • Posts: 843
Gear selectivity to species is overall a grey area, as salmon will sometimes bite everything. A lot of guys like to mooch herring for bottomfish, which can be a great way to catch salmon as well. Many salmon bite shrimp flies intended for bottomfish every year. Similarly, I sometimes can't keep the schooling midwater rockfish off a trolled Brad's Cut Plug. Theoretically, I could tie a barbed treble on that Brad's and claim to OSP that the salmon in my boat were caught on barbless single hooks before they saw me, and that I switched to the barbed treble to target the rockfish.

It'd turn into a headache for OSP discretion. A lot of anglers out there are seeking to exploit any 'loophole' they think they can find in the regulations. To avoid the headaches, it's just easier to make it a hard n fast rule that's easy for everyone to interpret. I don't want to burn money on a ticket that I can easily avoid, but that's just me.
aMayesing Bros.