Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2026, 12:34:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: old drifter vs new drifter  (Read 3659 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

boxofrain

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Brookings, Or.
  • Date Registered: May 2006
  • Posts: 1015
How Ya'll are!?
 This question is for Allen mostly, I have a friend that is getting a chance to get a used OK drifter. He was told that this older boat is a little wet in the ass from the lower seat height. The newer are a bit higher in the boat and provide a dryer ride. The question is, he knows it is a wet sport and has no problem with that., is there a big difference in oerformance between the two? I would trhink if your ass is lower, you would have better control.
 Thanks for the help here folks. 
 
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.


boxofrain

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Brookings, Or.
  • Date Registered: May 2006
  • Posts: 1015
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.


polepole

  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Location: San Jose, CA :(
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
  • Posts: 10099
Hmmm ... I've not heard anything about differences in drifters.  I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

-Allen


  • Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
  • Posts: 1704
Ass wetness is often a function of the size of the ass. I paddled a rental Drifter in LaJolla a couple of years ago and I don't recall it being particularly wet and mine is substantial at #260.

What I do remember is that it was really stable and handled well. I really enjoyed paddling it. So much so, I ended up having to tow a young man in a Scrambler in after he burned out too far from shore. It was his first time out and LaJolla requires a ¾ mile paddle off the beach just to get outside the preserve.  We were a couple miles offshore and, in addition to his paddling technique needing work, he might have been a bit intimidated by the vastness of the sea.  It tows well enough, but I liked paddling it “solo” much better.
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"