Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2026, 05:47:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 08, 2026, 09:43:41 AM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Sturgeon baits - saltwater  (Read 6232 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

demonick

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
  • Posts: 2835
Nothing...Do you mostly fish off the bank?  The short stiff leader thing is really common with the sturgeon fisherman plunking off the bank right below Bonneville damn in the heavy current.  In slower water (out of a boat) I have found a longer leader is more productive, gives them a chance to pick up the bait and mess with it a little without feeling the rest of your gear (lead, swivels etc)

I have never fished for sturgeon anywhere.  Until I got the yak in April I was a shore fisher, and never have been a PB fisher.  I'll be using longer leaders with a sinker slide, and SINGLE, BARBLESS hooks.  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:34:10 AM by demonick »
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com


The Nothing

  • De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Location: NE PDX
  • Date Registered: May 2009
  • Posts: 1132
The Nothing...Do you mostly fish off the bank?  The short stiff leader thing is really common with the sturgeon fisherman plunking off the bank right below Bonneville damn in the heavy current.  In slower water (out of a boat) I have found a longer leader is more productive, gives them a chance to pick up the bait and mess with it a little without feeling the rest of your gear (lead, swivels etc)

I left that part out, yes, I do tie the lil 4" shrimp leader to a longer 18+" leader.  At this point, yes, my fishing has been from the bank (though i've never fished bonneville), but thats all changing Oct 1 when the season reopens :)  I really like longer leaders from the bank as well.  I think they help provide a more "natural" presentation, though I'm not sure that matters.
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRS |  Jackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler