Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2026, 10:51:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

[July 30, 2026, 03:52:25 PM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Fish ID  (Read 3637 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PNW

  • Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Location: Eugene, OR
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
  • Posts: 2462
The rock greenling do have color variations, but yes, they are strikingly mottled, most with varying shades of red, blue, & green. I've caught them mostly from PC south to Heceta Head. Have only seen a few smaller ones (12 in) in the Cape Arago area, which I c&r. Almost all of the rock greenling I've caught have blue inside the mouth & blue-green flesh, similar to the blue variation of lingcod. Don't think I've ever caught a kelpy with blue-green flesh, although the males do have a definite blue tint to their skin. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the male & female Rock greenling?


INSAYN

  • ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • *
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Location: Forest Grove, OR
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
  • Posts: 5417
The females are the naggy ones. 


Sorry could resist.  ;)

BSteves should be along shortly to give you an educated answer.  ;D

 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15


PNW

  • Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Location: Eugene, OR
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
  • Posts: 2462
The females are the naggy ones. 


Sorry could resist.  ;)

BSteves should be along shortly to give you an educated answer.  ;D


if you marry one




INSAYN

  • ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • *
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Location: Forest Grove, OR
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
  • Posts: 5417
The females are the naggy ones. 


Sorry could resist.  ;)

BSteves should be along shortly to give you an educated answer.  ;D


if you marry one

Or have a girlfriend, female sibling, mother, grandmother.....etc.  You can pick 'em out easy.
 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15


jself

  • Guest
The rock greenling do have color variations, but yes, they are strikingly mottled, most with varying shades of red, blue, & green. I've caught them mostly from PC south to Heceta Head. Have only seen a few smaller ones (12 in) in the Cape Arago area, which I c&r. Almost all of the rock greenling I've caught have blue inside the mouth & blue-green flesh, similar to the blue variation of lingcod. Don't think I've ever caught a kelpy with blue-green flesh, although the males do have a definite blue tint to their skin. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the male & female Rock greenling?

At least with the kelp greenling, it looks as if the females are yellowish with orange fins.