Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2026, 03:54:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Mooching reels? Alveys? What have I done?  (Read 3685 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Location: The Gorge
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
  • Posts: 710
Or more likely, what the #%$*& am I doing? I LIKE them! Anyone here use them? I saw one set-up for salmon on the board but there hasn't been any other talk about them since then (Sept. 2011).

Sure, I have plenty of Abu 6001 and Penn reels to bring the sturgeon and salmon to the 'yak but, is it really worth it to shuck out a bit more money to add another dimension to my mad fishing skills?

Oh, yes... Yes, it is...

True
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."


demonick

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
  • Posts: 2835
Actually, they don't seem too expensive.  It not like they are Penn Senators or Avets.  I kind of wonder about what seems to be 1:1 crank ratios.  That's a lot of cranks to pull in a couple hundred feet of line.  A 4" reel pulls in about a foot of line per turn. 

My last statement got me thinking ... damn!

My Abus have about a 1-1/2" diameter spool when full with a 6.3:1 ratio, hence pulling about 30" of line with each crank.  My Penn 750ssm is about 2-1/4" diameter with a 4.6:1 ratio, and pulling 32.5" of line with each crank. 

You're going to be doing a lot of cranking.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com


crazyeyes

  • Perch
  • ***
  • 2011 Hobie Adventure
  • Location: Battle Ground, Wa.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
  • Posts: 90
I own a shimano mooching rod and reel, I haven't had the time to give it a good work out yet, but I'm wanting to give it a try this springer season, if I can find some good drifts over deeper water.  Anyone out there every try mooching a river like the big C or the Willy? I make look like a fool    out there, but I think it's worth a try.
If it wasn't for flashbacks, I'd have no memories at all.


  • Location: The Gorge
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
  • Posts: 710
I just got a used Zebco Z/300 thinking it was left-hand capable. Unfortunately, it's not. Anyone out there want to switch for a Shimano or Daiwa left-handed mooching reel? I'm willing to trade or I might just take it with me to the Sportsman's Show and see what I can get for it.

True
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."


 

anything