Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2026, 11:17:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Fillet knife recommendations  (Read 8429 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Fungunnin

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
  • Posts: 2548
I don't know how much difference the direction makes. You are straightening any burs or rolled edges in the blade. I have always drawn from handle to point, leading with the cutting edge For soft knives I really like a Grover steel. For hard knives I prefer a smooth steel.


Romanian Redneck

  • snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Location: Vancouver, WA
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 1979
Thanks! :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy


demonick

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
  • Posts: 2835
FG mentioned a rolled edge.  To "unroll" it you need to draw the edge down the steel with the edge trailing the knife's spine.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com


Fungunnin

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
  • Posts: 2548
FG mentioned a rolled edge.  To "unroll" it you need to draw the edge down the steel with the edge trailing the knife's spine.

Not entirely true. If you are honing frequently enough you will not have to lead with the spine. That be a very awkward stroke to hold the knife upside down and slow. A grooved steel will also help you to unroll the edge.
I have never honed a knife on a steel with leading with the spine, nor have I ever seen it done that way but if it works for you ... go for it.


 

anything