Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2026, 07:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Catching Smolts... A few questions  (Read 1756 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KayakBernie

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • 'Mark'ing My Territory : My Adventure/ Photo Blog
  • Location: Portland, Oregon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 111
So in the past two days I have caught / foul hooked 9 smolts, 2 yesterday and 7...7 today. Yesterday I did hook a full size springer but lost it right at the boat. My questions: Am I doing something wrong? Am I doing something right? Or is it just one of those things that happen? Do I need to report the ones that got foul hooked, some really were hooked bad and are probably not going to make it.  Let me know what everybody thinks. Thanks so much for the help!

Cheers, Bernie
It's not the destination, but the Journey that makes life interesting!


craig

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Tualatin, OR
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
  • Posts: 3819
I would say if you hooked a Springer this year, you are definitely doing something right.


ndogg

  • ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • *
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Location: SW Portland
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
  • Posts: 1767
I have hooked a ton this year too.  I figure if my bait is good enough to get a smolt to attack something nearly its size, it is probably going to work pretty well for an adult salmon. 
 


Spot

  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Location: Hillsboro
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
  • Posts: 5959
I have hooked a ton this year too.  I figure if my bait is good enough to get a smolt to attack something nearly its size, it is probably going to work pretty well for an adult salmon.

+1
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st


KayakBernie

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • 'Mark'ing My Territory : My Adventure/ Photo Blog
  • Location: Portland, Oregon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 111
Nate,  that was kinda what I was thinking but being new to it I thought I would ask. Aggressive little buggers for sure!!
It's not the destination, but the Journey that makes life interesting!


 

anything