Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: perception pescador 12 vs west marine pompano 120  (Read 24002 times)

catchinabuzz

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Hey guys, so recently I purchased my first yak, a perception pescador 12 for $700 after taxes on amazon. West marine sells the pompano 120 for $500 and as far as I can tell its the exact same yak minus a seat with a couple extras like a storage pouch and anchor trolley system.

My main gripe with my pescador has been my ass getting soaked because of the scupper holes directly underneath the seat.

I wanted to get some feedback on my solution;
Return my pescador and purchase the pompano. Take the $150 dollars I saved and purchase an elevated seat to keep my ass high and dry.

My only concern is reading through some forums I've seen people say that because of the price difference there has to be some differences between the yaks but as far as I can tell they are both based on the tarpon 120 and both made by the same company?

Can you all tell me what you think please and also I would be forever grateful if you can recommend a seat for the pompano. This is the seat I've been looking at but I'm not sure it will fit; http://www.harmonygear.com/products/9221/Wilderness-Systems-AirPro-Freedom-Elite-Kayak-Seat-Low.html?source=23&gclid=COy-__H-y7gCFeZxQgodeH4Azw

NCWflounderer

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
I have a pompano, and if I don't have the Scuppers plugged, I am sitting in water.  I think it depends on your weight and cargo weight on how high in the water you sit.  are you fishing fresh water? or salt? I think unless you are a small person, you probably want to upgrade to a longer boat if you are fishing the salt.  If you are staying in the fresh water get the Pompano, plug the scuppers and your good to go!

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I'm always wearing a dry suit for the fishing I've been doing, so if there's water around my ass it makes no-nevermind to me.

That said, scupper plugs or a boat that just gets you up higher or both will help with that.
2012 ORC 5th Place

catchinabuzz

• Plankton
Guys thanks for the quick replies. I own the pescador already which is basically the same kayak, my plan is to return my pescador and purchase the pompano because of the price difference.  The pompano doesnt come with a seat though so I'm just curiois if wilderness systems air pro seat will fit. If not is there another elevated seat you can recommend me. I fish mostly in fresh water and I'm just looking for a way to keep water out of my ass. I've used practice golf balls for the scupper plugs but it's a pain to have to dump water out that gets into the boat from choppy water.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Will the place you bought it from let you return it?

You might try some scupper valves,

http://www.oceankayak.com/innovation/key_brand_features/scupper_holes/

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
You've used that Pescador.  It is, apparently, not defective.  Not trying to be ass (it just comes naturally), but returning it just to buy a cheaper version is not the most ethical decision.  If I were you I'd suck it up and either take the hit on selling it at its used value and then buy what you really want, or keep it and figure out a good solution to the wetness of the ride. 

I have no knoweldge of that particular seat, so I can't advise you in that regard.

2012 ORC 5th Place

catchinabuzz

• Plankton
I consider my return perfectly moral. I'm within the return policy and if this is truly the exact same kayak which I'm 99% sure it is then I have not the slightest bit of gilt purchasing it somewhere else for a better price. That's what competitive business is all about. However I'm not here to argue. Just looking for some insight on an elevated seat that fits a tarpon 120 based kayak.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
Well, if you are within the specified return timeframe and condition then I withdraw the previous comment. 
2012 ORC 5th Place

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I picked up my Pescador 12 "complete with integrated seat and rod holder" from Sports Authority for $599 after bringing in a printout from West Marine website showing their Pescador at that price.   They didn't even ask me if West Marine had them in stock, only dropped their price $50 to match.
My point being it might be worth seeing if local sources will match some of the free shipping priced online offers since it is still their competition. 

I have not had issues with water coming up from the scupper holes by the seat, but from those at my feat and by the mid hatch access.  Water comes right up to the lip of that hatch so I dare not open it while on the water.  Only while I am under way / moving at a good pace does the water level drain out enough to open that hatch.   So much fun to Paddle Fast, Open Hatch and Grab Items Fast before I loose my momentum.
 :(

I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
The Pompano 120 is an older Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 design.  The Perception Pescador 12 is as well.  Perception is under the same parent company (Confluence) as WS.

-Allen

catchinabuzz

• Plankton
Thanks pole pole. I did end up buying the pompano, it came with a lot of extras that the pescador didn't have and I couldn't be happier with it. Can anyone recommend an elevated seat that would work with it?

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
Surf to Summit makes a seat designed for the OK Drifter that gets you up about 3".  There was one for sale on here recently, but I believe it has sold.
2012 ORC 5th Place

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
2012 ORC 5th Place