Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2026, 08:59:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Custom Fish Bonkers  (Read 5985 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Yaktrap

  • Salmon
  • ******
  • Location: Seattle WA
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
  • Posts: 712
I've been working on a better fish bonker for a while and I'm satisfied with this design. I know a lot of other kayak fisherman have worked on their own designs, both carved and turned, and I think this demonstrates that the ones available off the shelf of the local tackle store (plastic or varnished gum) aren't what most of us kayak fisherfolks are looking for in this tool.

I've put it to the test on many dozens of salmon and other fish so far this year and it's become an essential part of my kit. It gives a choice of grip positions with 6 deep coves and is 1.5" diameter red oak and is 12" long. It gives a lot of options from a full power wail from out near the nob, a slight tap from the choked up position and my favorite the fist down hammer slam.

Oak seems to soak up and break down the fish slime and blood in seconds so the texture of the wood doesn't change when wet or slimy. It also doesn't require any sealer or oil to keep this nice texture. This is probably why oak was the first choice for oars when we use to row a lot to get around.

If your interested in buying these ($20) send me a PM and I'll bring some to the Humpy Classic, or I we can arrange to ship it. I'll also do harpoons and gaff hooks with the same style handles, like the ones I brought to the NB halibut opener.

Sponsors:
Werner Paddles, RAM Mounts and Kokatat Waterwear

AOTY wins: 2013 (2049 points), 2015 (2026 points)