Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2026, 12:50:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 02, 2026, 10:54:03 AM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Where to start out?  (Read 3061 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

uwjberg

  • Krill
  • *
  • Location: Fall City
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
  • Posts: 18
So I've lurked for a bit, and after doing some research I just picked up a used OK Trident 15. My plan is to fish mainly Puget Sound, hopefully making the coast a few times. I figured I better start slow, given this will be my first kayak. Maybe hit Lake Sammamish/Lake Washington to practice and get a feel for it before I hit the big stuff.

My question is, what do you all think I should practice? I'll obviously be doing some self rescue stuff, testing balance, etc. What else should I try? I'd love to hit the coast for some bottom fishing, but I figured it would be worth working my way up through the farm league before hitting the big water.

Any thoughts? I can't wait to get started.


polyangler

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Lacey, WA
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
  • Posts: 1844
Sounds like your on the right track. Start with lakes to get familiar with your rig/start learning how to paddle and self rescue. Then move to the sound. Be mindful of tidal currents and weather conditions. The coast will depend on both your abilities and physical fitness.
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod