Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2024, 12:28:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:12:30 PM]

[Today at 12:06:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

[June 07, 2024, 08:15:15 AM]

[June 07, 2024, 07:28:03 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Rock Solid hobie pedal arm upgrade group buy .... UPDATED WITH ORDER INFO!!!  (Read 32870 times)

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

no_oil_needed

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Do you mean a second production run or a different design?
I was referring to additional production runs in case we wanted to buy in the future, but I imagine you'll get more ideas with customer feedback and might consider a design change. In a previous thread I said that the hole that size in the middle of a pedal arm is a terrible design. I would like to see a pedal arm without a hole in the middle. That's more of a pedal adjustment issue than pedal arm issue, so it's probably out of scope here.
Relax. You'll live longer.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
In for a pair.

I have a question for the engineers of nwka.  Is it possible the drive arms are designed to be a weak point, absorbing damage that would otherwise damage the drive well?

amb

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Count me in for a pair.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Do you mean a second production run or a different design?
I was referring to additional production runs in case we wanted to buy in the future, but I imagine you'll get more ideas with customer feedback and might consider a design change. In a previous thread I said that the hole that size in the middle of a pedal arm is a terrible design. I would like to see a pedal arm without a hole in the middle. That's more of a pedal adjustment issue than pedal arm issue, so it's probably out of scope here.

Actually, I think that could easily be remedied if the design incorporated a U bolt that went around the pedal arm instead of through it.

Bill, didn't your original repair use a U bolt?

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Yes, I used a U-bolt to do an emergency fix in camp. This is definitely an option though it does not allow for the full range of adjustment built into the arm. I believe that the reason arms are failing is that the metal quality is just standard aluminum and not high strength bar. By going to a solid bar an the highest quality aluminum I am confident that we can eliminate arm breakage.

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
We will definitely be running later productions, though the cost will be higher.

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I love billet machined stuff........count me in for a pair too
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

Nangusdog

• Lingcod
  • Live to fish, fish to live
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
Any progress or news on this?...if you have a cost I'm ready to send you some $$

I'm pretty stoked about it since I've broken two this season alone.

Gordon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7QYFPLqHbdZIJblTDhgAuQ

Hobie Outback x2 (for fishing)
WS Tsunami 140 (for paddling, wishing I were fishing)
Old Town Dirigo 120 (for rivers)

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
I have been told that I will have set up cost by end of day today. Hope to have PayPal and everything lined up by Friday to start accepting payment and confirming orders.

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

uplandsandpiper

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
In for a pair.

I have a question for the engineers of nwka.  Is it possible the drive arms are designed to be a weak point, absorbing damage that would otherwise damage the drive well?

I have wondered the same thing. I've also wondered this: Since the maximum amount of force that can be applied to the pedal is whatever the water resistance is at the fin plus whatever resistance is on the other pedal, are the arms breaking more easily than expected because of the natural tendency to not lift your non-drive leg? I.e. you're pushing the fin, plus you're pushing your other leg up, and possibly you're even exerting force without thinking about it with the non-drive leg.

I think this is a cool product, I'm not down on it at all, but I'm curious why the arms are breaking in the first place. It seems to me that if I take one of my feet off the pedals altogether and push as hard as I can with just one leg that I would never break the arm. But perhaps that is not true in some conditions. I'm not playing down the breakage others have experienced at all, but I'm curious if it is relatively easy to avoid.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
In for a pair.

I have wondered the same thing. I've also wondered this: Since the maximum amount of force that can be applied to the pedal is whatever the water resistance is at the fin plus whatever resistance is on the other pedal, are the arms breaking more easily than expected because of the natural tendency to not lift your non-drive leg? I.e. you're pushing the fin, plus you're pushing your other leg up, and possibly you're even exerting force without thinking about it with the non-drive leg.

I think this is a cool product, I'm not down on it at all, but I'm curious why the arms are breaking in the first place. It seems to me that if I take one of my feet off the pedals altogether and push as hard as I can with just one leg that I would never break the arm. But perhaps that is not true in some conditions. I'm not playing down the breakage others have experienced at all, but I'm curious if it is relatively easy to avoid.

I'd have to be able to look at the fractured face to be able to tell, but I think these are fatigue failures, not single overload failures.  If it is fatigue then beefing up the arms will only help overall drive durability.  If it's single overload failures then yes, beefing them up could cause a more expensive failure elsewhere in the drive, though that is far from certain.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Good point, fatigue vs. overload.

I guess call me a "strong maybe" for 2 sets. :)

anything