Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 04:33:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 05, 2024, 05:55:06 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:23:12 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 05:45:18 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Lake Simtustus / Billy Chinook 07/19-07/20  (Read 3961 times)

• I fish out of a SIK
  • blah...
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Looks like I will be camping this weekend in Central Oregon.  If anyone is nearby and would like to do some fishing let me know! Or if anyone has been before and has any tips, I'm all ears.  Thanks.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Or if anyone has been before and has any tips, I'm all ears.  Thanks.

Sign up for the AOTY.  With all the fishing you're getting in you shouldn't have any problem being in the running.   :)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

• I fish out of a SIK
  • blah...
I've given it some serious thought, but I'm not sure I'll even make it out to the Ocean this year, and I"m hesitant going Salmon/Sturgeon fishing by myself (at least at first).  Not confident I can handle the surfing launches/landings, and I'm afraid I'll tip over when I try to bring a heavy fish up.  I do plan on entering it next year, just uncertain if it's going to be worthwhile this year when I feel I could only catch 1/2 of the fish on the list.

I've fished the Tualatin like 3 times since my last post about it, no luck what-so ever.  Even tried the same spots and same lure.  I'm not sure if it's my knot tying abilities (or lack of), leader vs non, swivel, ect.  I have lots to learn, and don't really feel I have any sort of shot.

However, I do really enjoy this site and want to support it.  So I will be buying some stickers soon, and possibly a safety flag, ect.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
I've given it some serious thought, but I'm not sure I'll even make it out to the Ocean this year, and I"m hesitant going Salmon/Sturgeon fishing by myself (at least at first).  Not confident I can handle the surfing launches/landings, and I'm afraid I'll tip over when I try to bring a heavy fish up.  I do plan on entering it next year, just uncertain if it's going to be worthwhile this year when I feel I could only catch 1/2 of the fish on the list.

You'd be amazed at how many people will jump at the opportunity to fish with you.  I've learned a lot in the last 4 months, hooking up with bsteves, GBS, kykfshr, steelheadr et al.  And, don't forget there's an ocean tournament coming up with lots of people around to help you out.  Let's not forget that luck is often the difference between fishing and catching.
OK, I'll stop now.  :)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I may be wrong, but I think please_send_rescue's current concerns about stability and surf launches/landings has to do with the sit inside kayak he paddles.  I'm sure as soon as he breaks down and gets a SOT, he'll be right there with us.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
I may be wrong, but I think please_send_rescue's current concerns about stability and surf launches/landings has to do with the sit inside kayak he paddles.  I'm sure as soon as he breaks down and gets a SOT, he'll be right there with us.

Brian

Brian brings up a good point.  You know, there are lots of us willing to loan you an SOT for this event. 

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:

• I fish out of a SIK
  • blah...
Let's not forget that luck is often the difference between fishing and catching.
OK, I'll stop now.  :)

Oh man, so THAT'S my problem! haha...  I do plan on attending the Derby at the coast, but I'd have to have a hell of a weekend to catch all the fish on the list haha.

As far as the stability issues and being in a SIK, my kayak is really stable.  I don'/t know how i'd lean over the edge to pull up a monster fish in a SIK or a SOT.  I don't have any intentions of getting a SOT anytime soon.  I just got my Zoar and I love it, just not experienced with surf or big fish at all.  I haven't tried any of the Hobie's (I like the idea of their pedals), but the other SOT kayaks I tried at REI's demo day, just didn't do anything for me.  I think it's just going to take some practice and some experience, and if I can't bring in the big fish off my zoar, well then that's just a very sad day...

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
PSR, I just gave you an decent excuse and you squander it.  Believe me, when it comes time to hauling a monster fish out of the water you'll figure it out.  I have a friend who fished out of a SIK all the time and he had no problems landing fish, even large fish like Jack Crevelle in the Sea of Cortez.

BTW, they're not the tastiest fish in the sea.

• I fish out of a SIK
  • blah...

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Get a Hobie , there very stable you'll never tip ov....err, nevermind. ;)
See ya on the water..
Roy

• I fish out of a SIK
  • blah...

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Uh oh...
http://www.katu.com/news/24449349.html

oh, man, Cali just couldnt keep their fires at home, could they??  ::) not at all familiar with the area there, but  hope that doesnt stop you from fishing..
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I believe that area is right on the way to Lake Billy Chinook.  Might make for a long detour and some smoky fishing if the winds aren't in your favor.

• I fish out of a SIK
  • blah...
Just packing up and then going to head out.  I will let you guys know how it turns out.  I'm going fishing this weekend come hell or high water, hope i can make it to my planned destination though...

• I fish out of a SIK
  • blah...
Had an awesome time, I'll try to post some pictures and a write-up when I can.  I got some nice trout ranging from about 1 to 2.5  err .5 to 1.5 lbs?? lol i so need a scale..  I learned a lot this trip, and I'll pass along what works for this place.  I was fortunate enough to get tips from my gf's uncle who has been fishing this area the past 15 years. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 01:24:20 AM by please_send_rescue »