Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2026, 04:19:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:00:20 AM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Leader storage  (Read 5268 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

cdat

  • Guest
I know this has probably been asked before, when I did a search didn't get many hits.
How do you folks wrap, store and take a collection of pre-made rigs and leaders to keep them from getting tangled. Being able to get a new leader out, on your pole and in the water while sitting in a bobbing, rocking kayak is a little different than doing it on shore. Any thought or pics would be appreciated by this newbie.

Thanks
John


DWB123

  • Salmon
  • ******
  • Location: Seattle, WA
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 842
Pool noodle cut to length. Wrap leaders around that starting with tag end, then hook to secure the whole leader. I have a carabiner inserted through the top of the noodle for placing/removing on whatever (e.g. milk crake, random strap)


THEFILTHYOAR

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • Location: everett washington
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 194
I use the old round cd organizer , I have all my leaders that I tie neatly rolled up and placed where the cds go.  I can carry 24 in each case. I just clip it around the rod holder, done and easy to get too


Lee

  • Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Location: Graham, WA
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
  • Posts: 6091
I use the old round cd organizer , I have all my leaders that I tie neatly rolled up and placed where the cds go.  I can carry 24 in each case. I just clip it around the rod holder, done and easy to get too
That is just genius.
 


Fiskari

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • Location: Sellwood, Portland
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
  • Posts: 164


DWB123

  • Salmon
  • ******
  • Location: Seattle, WA
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 842
do you mind uploading a pic of this CD method? i'm curious how you stack x-number of leaders in there without the line and/or hooks getting all tangled. thanks!


THEFILTHYOAR

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • Location: everett washington
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 194
So easy.


DWB123

  • Salmon
  • ******
  • Location: Seattle, WA
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 842
OH! That's pretty clever. I thought you were referring to these and couldn't figure out how the hell that made sense.


THEFILTHYOAR

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • Location: everett washington
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 194
Oh hahah yeah that would be a nice disaster. Yeah I figure a leader wallet is almost 20 bucks, got 5 of these for 10 bucks. And they are strong and fairly manageable. I use them on the boat and the bank . cheers
 


cdat

  • Guest
Thanks for the pics and info, I was thinking the plastic cd case too, great idea.


dberd

  • Salmon
  • ******
  • Location: The Couv
  • Date Registered: May 2011
  • Posts: 696
I use the old round cd organizer , I have all my leaders that I tie neatly rolled up and placed where the cds go.  I can carry 24 in each case. I just clip it around the rod holder, done and easy to get too
That is just genius.
Great idea...wonder if the kid is gonna miss this...
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC


DWB123

  • Salmon
  • ******
  • Location: Seattle, WA
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 842
You let your kid drink beer?


cdat

  • Guest


Ben Guss

  • Rockfish
  • ****
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
  • Posts: 149
Take 5 or more zip locks and tape the ends together- BAM you have a leader wallet.- A time tested fly fishing work around.


INSAYN

  • ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • *
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Location: Forest Grove, OR
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
  • Posts: 5417
I used to use the same kind of CD wallet for my pre-tied shrimp fly rigs.  I don't use pre-tied shrimp flies much any more. 
However, it worked like a charm.
 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15