Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 12:14:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 04, 2024, 06:47:37 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 05:45:18 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 02:50:54 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: VHF Radio - A big difference  (Read 4268 times)

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I learned something important on thursday... I was in my 15ft runabout, but it applies even more significantly to kayak, in my opinion.

I was about 50 ft out of the marina in Neah Bay when my outboard failed.  No big deal, start it back up... well, it would stay running and the wind was blowing like crazy... blowing me towards the breakwater.  I never felt as if I was in deep trouble.  When I realized my boat wasn't going anywhere under it's own power I tried to flag down a number of boats that were coming in... 10 to be precise.  Apparently none of them saw me.

Upon realizing friendly fellow boater was on their way I used my VHF radio to contact the coast guard.  They wanted to know where I was and I told them I was in the bay... that I was not in any immediate danger... I watched their boat pull out and noted that they couldn't see me.  I confirmed this when they arrived.  They towed me in, checked out my boat, and away they went.  I am thankful for their assistance... it occurs to me that I was probably in a bigger predicament than I realized as I was headed for the rocks.

So, what did I learn? 

You know, I almost left my VHF behind.  I was thinking, "I never use it and it is just one more thing to have to keep track of in my boat."  Realistically, if I had not had my VHF radio there was a real chance that my boat would have been toast and I could have been injured.  You can be guaranteed if I am on the water I will have a VHF from now on.

You are not easily seen in a boat.  This is even more true in a kayak.  The CG with the great binos and the general area I was in took a bit to realize where I was...

Don't let your pride keep you from calling for help in a timely manner.  Had I waited any longer my pride, and make no mistake - that is what kept me from calling sooner, could have cause me harm.  The CG is there to help if you get in trouble.  Do your best to stay safe, but don't rob them of the use of their training to tow you or help you.  They would much rather practice those skills than life saving skills.

Have more than one way to signal.  You are required, in a boat, to have something that makes noise and flares... But those may not be enough.  I fellow boater I saw being towed in by another boater later in the day related that when their boat died out by tatoosh that they went their 6 flares before someone saw them and responded.  A radio would have enabled him to be aided by the CG.

My biggest takeaway really was the significance of the VHF radio.  If you don't have one and you fish in the saltwater you should get one.
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
Great advice, rev! I never head out without one. Huge difference in being helped or being a victim.

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ok. Guilty as charged. In fact I just replaced one last week. Finally. I do always carry a cell phone. Would that have worked? I know VHF is more direct. And waterproof. Though I do use a case now.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

ferrous2

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Great point. Thank you for the advice.

Firefly51

• Rockfish
  • Catch & Fillet but don't waste!
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Frankly, I think its a good idea to carry both, a VHF and a cellphone. The range of a handheld VHF is line of sight and limited to about 3-5 miles on a good day.  Your cellphone will easily hit a shore based tower from 8 miles.  Have the local USCG number in your speed dial. 
Rick

Malibu X-Factor
Cobra Fish&Dive

tambs

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
SOLAS parachute flares are hard to miss.  And since kayaks are so small, it's that much more important that the signalling device is the best you can afford and have room for.  I carry three on my PB, and if I ever get the yak in the salt, I'll likely have at least one on board it was well.  Orange smoke is one of the best daytime distress signals, as smoke always draws the eye and can be seen a long way off. 

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
glad you made it back safe.

since I'm not out on the salt very often, what is the procedure for calling in the coast guard? Just switch to channel 15 (I think that is emergency channel) and call mayday?
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
glad all ended well rev. here u go justin....

EMERGENCY RADIO PROCEDURES
FILL IN THE NECESSARY INFORMATION BELOW
Speak: Slowly - Clearly - Calmly
__ 1. Make sure communications equipment is on.
__ 2. Select distress channels: 2182 kHz or 16 VHF-FM (156.80 MHz)
__ 3. Press microphone button. Calmly say: “MAYDAY - MAYDAY - MAYDAY, THIS IS THE __________________, __________________, _________________, OVER.” (vessel name) (vessel name) (vessel name)
__ 4. Release microphone button and wait for acknowledgement. If no response, repeat Step 3.
__ 5. If there is no answer, or if Coast Guard or other vessel responds, say: “MAYDAY, THIS IS THE _____________________________.
(vessel name/call sign)
__ 6. State your location twice (latitude and longitude, Loran, or range and bearing from known point, etc.)
__ 7. State the nature of distress.
__ 8. State kind of assistance desired.
__ 9. State number of people on board and if any injuries.
__ 10. State condition of vessel.
__ 11. Briefly describe vessel: Length _____, Type/Service __________, Color ________.
__ 12. Briefly describe type and amount of lifesaving equipment:
SURVIVAL CRAFT: ___________, PFDs ___________, EPIRB ___________.
__ 13. Say: “I WILL BE LISTENING ON CHANNEL ______________.”
__ 14. End by saying: “THIS IS THE _____________________, OVER.”
(Vessel name)
__ 15. If situation permits, stand by the radio for further communication with the Coast Guard or other vessel. If no one answers, repeat the above, then try on another channel.
PROVIDED BY THE USCG PASSENGER VESSEL SAFETY / MASS RESCUE PROGRAM – REV 10/03

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Or just call your wife and have her call... NO Don't. Get a radio. Glad it worked out OK for this guy. Sounds like he hit a wave and went through his kite and became entangled.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/man_in_kite-powered_kayak_resc.html
"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Just for clarification... "Mayday" is used if you are in imminent danger- as in you are taking on water etc.. Use "Pan-Pan" for situations for situations such as this where you need a tow and there is no life threatening situation.
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>