Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2026, 12:14:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

[July 30, 2026, 03:52:25 PM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Securing rods for surf exits  (Read 8109 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PNW

  • Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Location: Eugene, OR
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
  • Posts: 2462
I have strapped my rods to the hull and have never broken a rod tip or rod because 90% of the time the surf rolls a kayak sideways. 99% of the rods I have seen broken were sticking straight up in a rod holder. Most by newbs but some by vets who got to complacent or cocky. The other 10%, you have the  misfortune of catching a big one facing straight at the beach and you dig the bow into the sand  and pitch pole. In this scenario, you are screwed and anything strapped to the hull if vulnerable. The good news is that most of the NW beaches kayaks are launched from are are not steep shore breaks and you are much more likely to roll sideways. All that said, If you have a nice rod and reel, store the rod inside the hull and the reel in a dry bag. I've dumped in the surf more than most fishing Big Sur. It's unforgiving. Nuf said.
I used to boogie board & body surf The Wedge at Newport Beach north jetty (SoCal). Steep beach entries & exits with my Cobra F&D in any swell is a no go for me. I'd find a different spot.
http://bit.ly/2oLHRa0


Hydrospider

  • Guest
 I released the striper but my partner took one for grilling.

Thanks MJ/crash for your advice on skull safety.
I do use a helmet when I play in the surf. Not for surf entry or exit on fishing trips, but when Im there just to ride. I used the Greatful Head metal flake skull cap for years but upgraded to the Sweet Strutter.

My creek boat came with keeper slots on the hatch cover to secure my rods.
I swapped out the factory shock cord and replaced it with bungees that I sheathed in vinyl tubing to protect them from hooks.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:48:01 PM by Hydrospider »