Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 03:49:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:50:54 PM]

[Today at 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: When using GOOP for the transducer..?  (Read 3926 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm planning to pull out the foam puck and GOOP my transducer to the hull of a Trident.  There's no nice, flat area for it and it looks like I'll need a puddle of GOOP to do it.

Unless someone knows a better way to GOOP a transducer into a Trident.

If anyone has done this, do I need a dam to keep the GOOP from flowing all over the place?  I'm using Marine GOOP, but it still flows enough to spread by about 20%.
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Why are you going away from the foam puck?

Foam puck with water is probably the best way to have your ducer work it's best from inside the hull.  Many other ways to do it, but a water bath ensures you don't have bubbles to deal with if you burp it.

A pitfall of GOOPing your ducer directly to the hull is bubbles in the GOOP itself.  You will never know until you remove the ducer if you had a bubble free contact area.

Looks like this.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
I and others have used electricians putty, doesn't flow like goop, and you can make sure there are no bubbles.

Dan_E

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Why are you going away from the foam puck?

Foam puck with water is probably the best way to have your ducer work it's best from inside the hull.  Many other ways to do it, but a water bath ensures you don't have bubbles to deal with if you burp it.

A pitfall of GOOPing your ducer directly to the hull is bubbles in the GOOP itself.  You will never know until you remove the ducer if you had a bubble free contact area.

I keep forgetting to bring water to fill the puck and I'm worried that beer will damage my transducer   >:D

I was having trouble seating the transducer so it was level in the puck the other day and I got into a cycle of add water, burp it, oops! back it out, fill it, burp it, oops!  And the thought came that I've had enough of this silliness.  Not a classic reason but it's the only one I have.

How did you piddle up that GOOP so badly?  Holy cow!

Thank you.  Always the voice of "Why are you complicating things again, Tinker!"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:15:23 PM by Tinker »
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I and others have used electricians putty, doesn't flow like goop, and you can make sure there are no bubbles.

Dan_E

Thank you, Dan.  I read somewhere that the oils (?) in putties can damage the transducer over time.  I don't know if that's true or bullpoo, but it's kept me from using it.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Mount it in a scupper hole then it's actually in the water

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Mount it in a scupper hole then it's actually in the water

Lemme see, Ocean kayak... Lowrance transducer...  Rats!  They don't play well together.  But since the stupid Lowrance is starting to act up, maybe I'll find a Humminbird.  Those do play well with Ocean Kayak scuppers.

Thank you, Mojo.  I'm trying to work with what I have on hand but your suggestions are always appreciated.   :occasion14:

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
my foam "water bath" has worked flawlessly since day 1 on my Lowrance Elite Chirp4. 
I'm available for hire if you want me to come do it for you, Tinker. :banjo:

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
my foam "water bath" has worked flawlessly since day 1 on my Lowrance Elite Chirp4. 
I'm available for hire if you want me to come do it for you, Tinker.

And maybe you can get a video of me - a guy - reaching way past my toes.  Oh, wait!  I sold my Hobie...  Nevermind.   :angel:

It's that darned v-shaped hull in the Trident 11 that's making it difficult.  Remember how arrogant proud I was of having cut it practically perfectly?  Perfectly fitting the puck to the hull doesn't guarantee the transducer is going to stay perfectly level in the perfectly cut puck.  Not with me at the controls, anyway.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:56:43 PM by Tinker »

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015

For my trident 13 I stole a Tupperware from the wife, cut the bottom off shaped for the hull with some tin snips, and gooped it down. It's really easy to splash some water in there and pop the lid on. It's ugly but works great. This was a quick half assed rendition of some better quality installs off YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you, Casey.  I was just thinking that someone had posted The Tupperware Solution and was about to start searching for it.  I could even bolt the transom mount to the side of the bowl and Bob's your uncle, never again have to worry about whether or not the I got the puck back to level when I added water.

Amik

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Tinker, I gooped my transducer to the flattest part of the hull I could find on my 13 which was just north of the main hatch and south of the FF. I just gooped it in the evening fished the next day and never looked back. It reads the same as whoever is fishing next to me for comparison as to accuracy. Reads my downrigger ball. If it ever lets go I have plenty of goop left over to do it again. More importantly I don't have to waste my beer to float it!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I'm a card-carrying beer-hugger and definitely support beer conservation.

Thank you.  I'll get around to making up my mind about the best way to mount the TD.  Soon.  I have to go fishing again this Thursday.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Tinker, how do you forget to bring water to put in your foam puck slot?  Are you not at a body of water at some point with the kayak?

I cut a small burp slot in my pucks in my kayaks to allow me to just lift and lower my ducer maybe a 1/4" or so to burp it.  Also, I carry a plastic syringe with a 3" tube extension that I picked up new at the farm store for administering meds to big animals.  This is kept in the same bag I keep my fish finder unit.

9 years of using a foam puck in the 4 kayaks I have owned, and never had an issue. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
BTW, those pictures I posted of failed GOOPed down ducers are not mine. I jacked them from the interweb for your entertainment.

anything