Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 11:47:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 05, 2024, 05:55:06 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:23:12 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 05:45:18 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: The Cheapskate Kayak Fisherman - Deals Thread  (Read 67404 times)

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I just pulled the trigger on the Garmin 73sv for $499.  I am excited to upgrade.

Here is the sale i found: https://www.scheels.com/p/garmin-echomap-uhd-73sv-with-gt54-transducer/75375924157.html

Any ideas if i need to upgrade my battery from a 12v SLA?

My Garmin 73sv runs fine off a SLA battery but I did build a box that utilizes my Dewalt batteries which I use exclusively now.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Oldhammer

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2021

Saltydog0

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2012
You're probably good for the better part of a day on the SLA but I would probably upgrade anyways, they're so cheap nowadays it's worth it to have the peace of mind if you forget to charge after a trip you will be good to on the next. I went with this guy which was the best deal I could find in a lithium battery. The only downside is the form factor is a bit weirdly shaped for the typical boxes. I bought a plastic "ammo can" type case at harbor freight for $10 and it works just great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VXSBC6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_86VVXNXZEQDRC0F2GMHH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

A year+ old and not the same size, but this brand did not get a favorable review. 

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
A year+ old and not the same size, but this brand did not get a favorable review. 

I'm with you and I actually watched that video and have been a subscriber to his stuff for years since I have been looking into a solar/off grid setup for the shed at the edge of my property. You have to watch a number of his videos to get a feel for what he is saying when he typically is testing massive battery banks, solar, and things intended for off grid use in a larger capacity than a ~1amp fish finder. Most of the reviews of a similar battery have similar results but I did contact the manufacturer and they indicated they've corrected most of the issues that were stated, which IMHO is fine for my usage. I paid $59 for it on special, which is roughly half that of anything else I could find in that size and more than 4 times cheaper than a similar size in a "name brand." I figured if I am getting ~85% of the stated capacity then that is good enough for me. So far so good in my usage, but definitely YMMV.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Matt M

• Sturgeon
Sportsman's wholesale has a BOGO deal on FIN-NOR reels, I am guessing they have a glut of inventory to offload. Either way figured I would post since it seems like a pretty good deal if you're looking for one. I personally haven't used one but I know they're pretty popular (or used to be) with the tuna guys down in southern California.

https://www.sportsmansnc.com/search/FIN-NOR/
-Matt

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
They were part of zebco/quantum but looks like pure fishing bought them and pared down the product line. Guessing these are discontinued and maybe will have little support but good deal for solid reels. I wish they were lefties.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I've heard good things about the brand but have never used one. Does anyone know how their spinning reels are? I'm tempted on the 30 or 40 size for saltwater, but the price (the before BOGO price) leaves me wondering how it will fare in a harsh environment.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
At 30 a pop if it doesn’t last tooooooo long is it that big of deal?

Matt M

• Sturgeon
I think I would probably trust it a tad more than a similarly priced Amazon no name special offering but yeah purchasing two just to get the deal is not ideal if you don't end up liking it.
-Matt

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
purchasing two just to get the deal is not ideal if you don't end up liking it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. Also, got to put line on it, take it off, etc.

Seems like a great deal, just not sure I need them... of course, "need" is a relative term...  ;D

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
If anyone is looking for a fish finder, just saw this at Bass Pro Shop.  If I didn't just buy a Stiker 73sv last year...

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garmin-echomap-uhd-73sv-fish-finderchartplotter-combo

and yes, that does include a transducer.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
If anyone is looking for a fish finder, just saw this at Bass Pro Shop.  If I didn't just buy a Stiker 73sv last year...

That just cost me $500 :)  That is a smokin' deal and I am sick and tired of sending Lowrance units back. 
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Matt M

• Sturgeon

That just cost me $500 :)  That is a smokin' deal and I am sick and tired of sending Lowrance units back. 

For the old town or the Hobie? Just bought the unit (used from a friend who upgraded to the 9") and haven't installed mine yet. The transducer is going to be interesting to mount where it won't be scratched up.
-Matt

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Going to put it on the Old Town. One of the specs was a smaller transducer than some of the bananas that come with other units with side-scan. I think I saw a vid on YouTube about the long Lowrance transducer being mounted on the AP.

Local Cabela's didn't have one in stock, so I am guessing it is a week or two out.  If it looks like the transducer is a no go, can probably sell it for what Cabela's is charging or more.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

anything