Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 08:03:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:55:06 PM]

[Today at 06:23:12 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 05:45:18 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Depoe Bay - usually others around?  (Read 2050 times)

AzDave

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2019
I get to spend a week at Lincoln City next week and plan to fish Depoe Bay.    Never fished it and would rather not be out there solo - is there usually others fishing this time of year during the week?   All geared up for Lingcod fishing and sounds like I should be getting some Brad's Cut Plugs too, and play it by ear.   As for adding to the tackle box, plenty of tackle stores in the area?  I like to spend the $ locally!

Thanks! 

And after Lincoln City, a week at Coos Bay.  Then a week at Brookings.   

Sure glad I found this Forum, great info and learning A LOT.!   

Dave
w/Hobie Outback tied to my Ford.   

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Harry's Bait and Tackle and Englund Marine in Newport.

If the conditions cooperate and you have sand wheels I'd suggest fishing Pacific City for bottom fish.
"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

AzDave

• Plankton
Thanks for the tip Ling!  Yes on the sand wheels.   Looks like a great area to fish!     

Dave

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 08:01:22 PM by AzDave »

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Planning on sunset bay AOTD?  You’ll meet a lot of like minded folks, not sure if it fits in your itinerary or not.

AzDave

• Plankton
Sunset Bay is on the list for sure, but not sure what AOTD is...

Thanks!

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

AzDave

• Plankton
Swee, and what perfect timing! 

AzDave

• Plankton
Harry's Bait and Tackle and Englund Marine in Newport.

If the conditions cooperate and you have sand wheels I'd suggest fishing Pacific City for bottom fish.

Thanks for the suggestion to fish Pacific City.   One can look at maps and google all day long, but until you sit and see, well - now I know!  And I'll admit, only been in the Pacific once, and that was in California waters.     

Did fish on Tuesday AM, hit the water around 6:30.   Stiill in the learning stages of surf launching.   One only has so much time to set the peddles in the hobie.   I didn't paddle far enough out when  I slammed mine in crooked!   Of course by the time I got them out and down, I was sideways.  You all know what happened next.   Got to try out the dry suit!  All secured, well most of my crap. 

Stuck to rock fishing, and quickly caught and kept two nice Black rock fish, released a few bigger ones and was hoping for a couple of lings and cabazon to keep.   Was out past the rock where the fishing picked up, but still no lings in the boat - did lose a couple nice fish on the way up.  So much fun!  Then the fog rolled in.  Stuck pretty close to the Rock with that, and sure glad I had GPS on my depth finder, but cursed that I did not have my compass for backup.   

Never did boat any lings or cabazon but good time had and lessons learned.    Lesson #1:  don't waste your money on the RAM universal cell phone holder.  Why oh why I thought  it would  hold.   Get so use to fresh water fishing.   Just a stupid thing!   Wife's pissed, and now I have to punish myself with a POS phone. 

Was hoping to get out again this weekend, but not looking as good.   

Toodles and good fishing to all!

Dave

AzDave

• Plankton
Made the trip back to AZ last week, wonderful 109, and was really sad to leave OR.   Oh well, next year.

My plan was to fish the AOTD, but that changed when I caught my very first salmon in Coos Bay, and missed a couple of others thru the week.  Water temps were quite nice, around 66, and trying to time the tide and wind was tricky.  But a great time fishing the Coos.    I did fish Sunset Bay a day, and man it got bumpy out there.     

Brookings was a blast too, and fished just out front of Chetco.   The Rogue was crazy busy and went to fish it at first light only to find low tide and learn that low tide is not for the Rogue.   Many rockfish at Brookings, and sure tried to catch some California Halibut.   My last fish caught was a frickin 6' thresher shark.   It breached twice, what a show!   I was lucky to catch up, get on top to cut loose and only lost 20' of braid.   

This rookie ocean fishing guy learned a bunch and can't wait for next year!

Tight lines!  Dave