Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 04:30:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 06, 2024, 10:42:31 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:23:12 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 05:45:18 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: What paddle do you use?  (Read 13485 times)

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I recently put a hold on a kayak, and am picking it up very soon. Next, I need to find some of the basics. I'd like to start by getting a paddle.

I'll mostly be using my yak on bigger, slower moving rivers like the Nehalem and the Willamette.

Now, this brings me to a second question...can kayaks be used to float coastal streams like the Wilson or the Trask?

Would I need a second, stiffer paddle for that?

Obviously I'm new to the sport...

So, what kind of paddle do you use and for what application?
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
i use a paddle called the "day tripper" by Carlyle, seems to be fine for all I do, Ocean, Estuary's, rivers and lakes.
 at just under $100, it fit my budget at the time, and I have not felt the need to upgrade 
maybe I am missing something  8)
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I'm a big fan of Werner paddles. I'd guess mostly being in rivers you want a paddle that can give you a lot of power per stroke so a fuller mid size blade would be what you're looking for. The Werner Tybee is a nice mid size bladed paddle that I think would do you good. About $130 new.

Check the Werner paddle fit guide and choose for yourself: http://www.wernerpaddles.com/fit_guide/index.php

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I'm a big fan of Werner paddles.

Why? Do they attach better to your paddle clips while pedaling?   ;D

Brian....... You can only wear one ass-hat at a time buddy.   :P
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I'm no expert but here's my opinion:

I recently put a hold on a kayak, and am picking it up very soon. Next, I need to find some of the basics. I'd like to start by getting a paddle.

I'll mostly be using my yak on bigger, slower moving rivers like the Nehalem and the Willamette.

Now, this brings me to a second question...can kayaks be used to float coastal streams like the Wilson or the Trask?

Would I need a second, stiffer paddle for that?

Obviously I'm new to the sport...

So, what kind of paddle do you use and for what application?

I like my Werner with a narrower touring style blade when trolling.  There's less paddle to manage and the energy expenditure is lower, allowing for a longer day.

When drifting coastal streams, having a more powerfull paddle with a broader blade is very helpfull.  The extra power is extremely usefull when you need to change lines to avoid disaster in fast water.   

Also, build yourself a drift anchor system if you're serious about costal streams.  You'll want to be able to deploy and pull your anchor quickly in fast moving water.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

jself

Werner is the best made paddle I've seen.

There are two main styles of (euro) paddles...high angle and low angle.

In general, Low angle paddles have a longer shaft, and a long skinny blade. I call them "touring" paddles. The reality is that wide boats like SOT's etc. usually force you to use a low angle stroke to reach the water. I recomend the Werner Camano in fiberglass in a 220-230cm length for boats like the tarpon, prowler, and anythng hobbie makes.

High angle paddles have a shorter shaft, short and wide blades, and a more verticle paddle stroke. This is what is generally used for surfing,whitewater, or when you need to get moving fast.

The high angle blade grabs more water with each stroke, and that's what I use for my sea kayak. If you don't maintain good torso rotation, you will fatigue much faster than a low angle paddle.

I use a Werner carbon Ikelos 210cm for most sea kayaking & surf. the blade has a foam core which makes it more bouyant for bracing and rolling. The width of my sea kayak is 21.5. the Ikelos has the largest blade surface area that werner offers for sea kayak paddles.

I use a Werner fiberglass Camono 230cm for my prowler trident, that is 29" wide.

In summary: high angle = moving water & skinny boats. low angle = relaxed paddling in slow water with wide boats.

the Werner website will give you a paddle prescription based on certain answers you give to their questions.

white water paddles are even shorter (200cm or less) with larger blades.

check out http://www.wernerpaddles.com/fit_guide/index.php

we have 15% off werner paddles right now at Alder Creek in Portland. http://www.shop.aldercreek.com

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
and now I am getting a lesson on paddles!
 very interesting on the # of paddles some of Y'all own :o
 I suppose I am not experianced enough to know the difference at this time ::)
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I'm a big fan of AT paddles myself. I use a 230 Xception carbon with oversize blades. Very light & the ergonomic grip fits my hands well. There's plenty of power with the larger blades, but it can still be finessed around. I've used one of these in various versions since about 2000. I've paddled a lot of other stuff, but keeping coming back to it, just haven't found anything else I like half as much. They also make the same paddle in different materials at different price points.

Your paddle is your motor & transmission. It's what moves your boat and connects you to the water, so I feel it's as least as important a consideration as your boat. If you can, take time to demo as many different paddles as you can. Werner, Bending Branches, and others all make great paddles, so a lot of it comes down to what feels right to you.

My highly-biased two cents,
Brian

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
A good all around paddle that I like to recommend is the Carlisle Enchantment.  Good solid FG paddle and not too heavy on cost (all things relative).

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
When you pick up your yak from Jim, ask him, he should be able to help.  May even have a demo to sell you too!

-Allen

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
  Is anybody going to mention the fact that a paddle lesson will help alot more than spending too much on a paddle? Nice paddles are nice, but a relatively cheap lesson in how to wield it will help you immensely and even save you a bit of shoulder/back pain. Not that you can't have a great time without a lesson (most yakfisherman haven't), you'd just have a better time with one.

I hear jself knows a thing or two about paddling. (even though he doesn't know how to use a rudder or realize that paddle's are really just used for backing up)  >:D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:44:52 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

• Date Registered: May 2008
Look into White lightning paddles! I have used my for 3 year's now and will never switch. It is light weight, comes apart for transport, and built strong. I think they still make them. They are made in the northwest.
PADDLE TO THE PEOPLE!

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
 Is anybody going to mention the fact that a paddle lesson will help alot more than spending too much on a paddle? Nice paddles are nice, but a relatively cheap lesson in how to wield it will help you immensely and even save you a bit of shoulder/back pain. Not that you can't have a great time without a lesson (most yakfisherman haven't), you'd just have a better time with one.

Paddle lessons good.  But I do think there is a big difference between a cheapo aluminum paddle and stepping up to a fiberglass.  I recall one time I had both with me and paddled the morning with the cheapo (OK Magic) and the afternoon with a FG (an older Werner Kauai) and there is a big difference.  I think you loose a lot of power if the paddle shaft/blades are is flexing.

-Allen
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:53:38 PM by polepole »

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
On this subject, I tried to ski pole myself up the beach one day and bent and kinked my cheapo hobie padddle blades.

What's decent in the 50 buck range? with stiff blades..
See ya on the water..
Roy

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I bought a $6 cedar 2X4 and made this. Nice and light.
You can paddle forever,but doesn't work well in the shallow water.  Unless you like poling.

Also, after Jself's wonderful costumer service while purchasing a new drysuit at Alder Creek yesterday, I highly recommend going there.  Also, you get 20% off on your birthday.  Thanks again Jason.

--Craig

anything