Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:53:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Angler of the Year 2021 (AOTY)  (Read 37113 times)

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Awesome! Go get em! I have contacted a number of places up in Alaska looking for sponsors, with no luck. So if you know any shop owners or managers, just let me know. I have tried to get a guided trip in Alaska donated with no luck.....YET!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Glad to have the Alaska contingent represented! Hopefully we can stir up more interest up there. Seems like short seasons but BIIIIG fish!

Drifter2007

• Salmon
Picked up another new sponsor today! Oregon Paddle Sports in Eugene has come on board! This is where I bought my wetsuit a few years back. Check them out online, or stop in at the store.
www.oregonpaddlesports.com
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2016 Retired!

Drifter2007

• Salmon
More prizes! Received 2 rods from BNM Fishing today!
WWW.BNMpoles.com
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2016 Retired!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
More prizes! Received 2 rods from BNM Fishing today!
WWW.BNMpoles.com

They seem to specialize in crappie poles - is that what they are? Sounds fun!

Drifter2007

• Salmon
Well, no. Catfish rods. I will post a pic and description later.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2016 Retired!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Well, no. Catfish rods. I will post a pic and description later.

Well, that sounds fun, too!

Drifter2007

• Salmon
Here are the 2 rods we received. The Salt 75S is a pretty sweet one piece spinning rod. The other is a Mag 70 SN. Similar to this pick but made for a spinning reel. A stout spinning reel! Being 7 foot and 2 piece is pretty sweet for transportation.

Pretty darn nice poles! Show B N M poles some love people!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2016 Retired!

Drifter2007

• Salmon
I thought I would post a list of current sponsor with a rough value of each.

Next Adventure $500
Pitbull Tackle $500
Nomad's Guide service $300
Mike Ferris Fishing Adventures $300
The Caddis Fly Shop $240
Skwoosh $200
BNM Poles $175
Big Hammer Jigs $150
Pro-Troll $150
Ego Nets $150
Yak Attack $100
Buzz Bomb $75
Z-Man Fishing $75
Lancer Jigs $50
Pro- Cure scents $50
LADY J's Jigs $20

Sawtooth Fishing Co ???
Oregon Paddle Sports ??
Two Rivers Fly Shop ??

I haven't received the last three to be able to put a value on them.

I know there are some prizes coming in from Jed also that I will pick up at the BCS in two weeks. Also, I am not done soliciting!

Please, talk to your friends, let's get more signed up! Everyone wins with more entries!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2016 Retired!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Heck yeah!   :banjo:

AOTY pages/leaderboard updated with logos/links. Great work, Drifter!

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Well Drifter you now have more sponsors than we have AOTY competitors.  Your value to the cause has exceeded the sum of your parts. KUDOS!

Come on folks, a worthy cause to support, plenty of rewards distributed to participants, and an opportunity to get your accomplishment "engraved" in the annals of history for whatever species you have entered. Think of it as a legacy your grandkids can refer to as they engage in kayak fishing in the future.  ;)

Keep your hooks sharp.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Drifter2007

• Salmon
Hey KK, I sent a solicitation request to the Kachemak Gear shed this morning. If you happen to be in the area and wouldn't mind stopping by there it could really help! I try to make an in person visit when I can and it really helps gain sponsors. I will print out one of the personalized letters and take with me.
I could send you the letter I sent them. As our o ly current AK participant this would probably be really good for you! Wink wink.
Thanks!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2016 Retired!

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I could send you the letter I sent them. As our only current AK participant this would probably be really good for you! Wink wink.
Thanks!

You have my addy. Fire away. I hope to get down to Homer in the next week or two so that would be an opportunity for me to stop by if you haven't heard from them by then. Keep me posted. I need to hit the water for a feeder king and also see if there are any pollock left around the dock pilings for halibut bait. Rumors are the cycle has run its course (climate change?) and there are very few hanging around now.

BTW, I'm working on a prototype UW cam system to take on the kayak as a Drop Down and Record view while drifting a reef, then retrieve the camera and play back the video right on its self-contained screen while still in the waterproof housing. Almost as good as realtime! If the system works I'll make up a DIY post. Also working on a system with the original GoPro Hero and Hero 2 cams I have that have housings good for 200 feet deep which should put me in the Yelloweye and lingcod zones complete with one of my 300' diving lights. I'd have to remove the SD card and swap it to my tablet to review the video but that isn't a problem on a calm dry day.  Also working on a "strike cam" system but there are a number of bugs to work out in engineering for kayak limitations. It would be a good prize to donate to the competition if I can perfect it. Maybe next year.

Here's a Tip:  Send out an intro contact to The Fish House in Seward. They are the #1 tackle, bait, fishing info, and charter services store in town. Right on the Harbor too. I filmed a number of trips back in the 90's for them. Longtime family operation. https://www.TheFishHouse.net/  Attention: Mark Clemens 
With Seward and Resurrection Bay being one of the most popular kayaking destinations in Southcentral it would be fitting for them to become a sponsor since there are plenty of kayakers fishing around town when the silvers arrive. And even for the sockeye that show up very soon.  All their contact info is on the home page.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I could send you the letter I sent them. As our only current AK participant this would probably be really good for you! Wink wink.
Thanks!

You have my addy. Fire away. I hope to get down to Homer in the next week or two so that would be an opportunity for me to stop by if you haven't heard from them by then. Keep me posted. I need to hit the water for a feeder king and also see if there are any pollock left around the dock pilings for halibut bait. Rumors are the cycle has run its course (climate change?) and there are very few hanging around now.

BTW, I'm working on a prototype UW cam system to take on the kayak as a Drop Down and Record view while drifting a reef, then retrieve the camera and play back the video right on its self-contained screen while still in the waterproof housing. Almost as good as realtime! If the system works I'll make up a DIY post. Also working on a system with the original GoPro Hero and Hero 2 cams I have that have housings good for 200 feet deep which should put me in the Yelloweye and lingcod zones complete with one of my 300' diving lights. I'd have to remove the SD card and swap it to my tablet to review the video but that isn't a problem on a calm dry day.  Also working on a "strike cam" system but there are a number of bugs to work out in engineering for kayak limitations. It would be a good prize to donate to the competition if I can perfect it. Maybe next year.

Here's a Tip:  Send out an intro contact to The Fish House in Seward. They are the #1 tackle, bait, fishing info, and charter services store in town. Right on the Harbor too. I filmed a number of trips back in the 90's for them. Longtime family operation. https://www.TheFishHouse.net/  Attention: Mark Clemens 
With Seward and Resurrection Bay being one of the most popular kayaking destinations in Southcentral it would be fitting for them to become a sponsor since there are plenty of kayakers fishing around town when the silvers arrive. And even for the sockeye that show up very soon.  All their contact info is on the home page.

I like the cut of your jib. Keep the home fires burning. Please share with us your youtube handle so we can see all that awesome uw footage!

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Drifter2007

• Salmon
Received a box of hand tied salt water flies from Jay Nicholas today! A sketch of a Salmon with these flies will accompany the prize.
Thanks Jay!
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2016 Retired!