Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:58:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 22, 2024, 03:13:08 PM]

[May 22, 2024, 08:32:04 AM]

[May 22, 2024, 08:23:42 AM]

[May 21, 2024, 05:54:13 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 12:36:33 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Hobie Revo front hatch seal replacement...  (Read 1730 times)

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
After going through the waves on Monday at PC and getting pummeled in the face, I noticed after getting out a ways that there was a bit of water in the hull that I assumed came in through the front hatch when the water washed over it. I had pulled out the rubber seal that was attached to the bottom of the top hatch and had come undone and didn't replace it because I thought it wouldn't take in too much water.

I thought about using some rubber cement but wasn't confident on my ability to replace the soft trim exactly where it belonged so I ended up using a piece of old water hosing that I had kept for other projects. I didn't glue it yet because it seems to keep its shape well on its own. I attached a photo of the yellow hose that is attached to the main body with nothing on the hatch above itself.

My question is, has anyone had to replace either the top or bottom seal in their front hatch? What did you use and how did it work out for you?

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Fred, I would think that the hose is too stiff to make a good seal.  It's probably better than nothing at all but I'd guess not a whole lot better.  I work at a dealer and can see about getting you a replacement seal if you like.  If you'd like me to, please give me a call at 206-604-6550 today or Sunday.

Kevin

I will test it out this morning with a high pressure water hose and see what water seeps in and let you know. Thank you for the offer as I may take you up on it. I am in Hood River and to get up there to North Bend would be a bit of a jaunt though my sister and her family live in Maple Valley. Beautiful land out there!

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I will test it out this morning with a high pressure water hose and see what water seeps in and let you know.

Another alternative that is perhaps most fitting to the under side of the lid is the rolls of sticky-backed foam rubber that seals the door against the vehicle frame on the older cars and trucks. Very spongy for good compression against your hose fix.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Pixster

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Water can also enter through holes feeding rudder lines.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010

I saw a guy on facebook that had a 3-d printed plug for that, but hell if I can find it now. Seems like he was up in WA.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Pixster

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010

I saw a guy on facebook that had a 3-d printed plug for that, but hell if I can find it now. Seems like he was up in WA.

His name is "Merv Low", and he is from Singapore.

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I will test it out this morning with a high pressure water hose and see what water seeps in and let you know. Thank you for the offer as I may take you up on it. I am in Hood River and to get up there to North Bend would be a bit of a jaunt though my sister and her family live in Maple Valley. Beautiful land out there!

Fred "True" Trujillo

Fred, no need to come up, I can mail it to you if you decide to go this route.  I work at Outdoor Emporium in Seattle.

Kevin

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
LOL.  The day before we met up on Monday at PC I noticed my front seal had come loose at several places and had become too short to glue back down.  Not having time to replace, I looked around and saw a section of pipe insulation and installed it.  As you can see it is a little short but it did work well. And you reminded me that I need to deal with it.
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

That was my second option if the hose didn't fit. It looks like that pipe insulation also comes in handy. I got the smaller instead of the larger diameter foam available. I might bring it with me just in case but the water pressure test worked out well yesterday with nothing entering from the front or sides of the seal. The back has VERY little space to allow water through - so much so that I am not worried about it coming undone. Still, Kevin, I will let you know one way or another about a new seal kit and if it will be necessary... or I could just upgrade to a new Ms. Salma altogether...

Fred "True" Trujillo