Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 07:28:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:06:28 AM]

[Today at 06:37:37 AM]

[Today at 06:35:15 AM]

[Today at 06:33:32 AM]

[Today at 06:29:12 AM]

[May 22, 2024, 03:13:08 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: which one?  (Read 4546 times)

jcw

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
New guy here. I am looking at either the 13' or 15' Ocean Kayak angler kayaks. I would like to get your firsthand experience, pro and con these two boats. The areas I would be using the boat in are in the north sound, and lakes. Thanks in advance, Jeff.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
The 15s are a little faster but turn a little slower than the 13s.  If you plan to really rack up the miles (say trolling all day) then investing in one of the 15s might be a good idea.  Otherwise, I think the 13s are a good all around fishing kayak.  Now the question is are you looking at the old Prowlers or the newer Tridents?

Also, it which you choose may depend a bit on your size.  If you're a really big guy.. 6'4" 300+ lbs the Trident 15 is going to suit you best.  If you're 5' 3" and 130 lbs  then you may like the 13 ft kayaks better.

Try and arrange to demo as many different models as you can so you can find what fits you best.

Brian

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Without knowing anything about a particular person ... I recommend the T13.  Brian talks about some of the factors that might lead to a T15.  I paddled the T15 for the better part of last season before switching over the the T13.  I'm 6'3" and 220#.  The T13 just feels like a better overall yak for me.

-Allen

amb

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
jcw,

Welcome to the forum.  These guys know what they'r talking about, and can give you some good advice.  Some folks may also have an extra boat you can try out first too.  Good luck and have fun -

Alan

jcw

• Plankton
bsteves, polepole, amb.  Thanks for your replies. A little bit about me. I am 5'9" and 230lbs. The 13 ft. I am told is last years model Angler in the wheat color. The guy at Johnson Outdoors in Ferndale WA. (Next door to the Ocean Kayak factory) told me I could do a test paddle in the pond out back. The 15 footer is this years boat and I found it in a sporting goods store in the area. I could probably paddle both at Johnson  Outdoors. I am tending to think the 15' may be the better boat for me considering my weight and the trolling issue. I do like drift mooching and do more of it than trolling with a downrigger in my regular fishing boat. The exception to that is going for silvers.

My experience with a sit on top boat is a few days renting in hawaii.  Didn't have a problem then so I don't think I'll have any trouble figuring out a fishing rig.  Thanks again for your replies, Jeff.

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
At 5'9" and 220, my 13 foot Big Game is more than adequate for the ocean, rivers and lakes. I've mostly trolled for salmon, without a DR, and anchored a bit for sturgeon.

Jay
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:03:10 PM by steelheadr »
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
bsteves, polepole, amb.  Thanks for your replies. A little bit about me. I am 5'9" and 230lbs. The 13 ft. I am told is last years model Angler in the wheat color. The guy at Johnson Outdoors in Ferndale WA. (Next door to the Ocean Kayak factory) told me I could do a test paddle in the pond out back. The 15 footer is this years boat and I found it in a sporting goods store in the area. I could probably paddle both at Johnson  Outdoors. I am tending to think the 15' may be the better boat for me considering my weight and the trolling issue. I do like drift mooching and do more of it than trolling with a downrigger in my regular fishing boat. The exception to that is going for silvers.

My experience with a sit on top boat is a few days renting in hawaii.  Didn't have a problem then so I don't think I'll have any trouble figuring out a fishing rig.  Thanks again for your replies, Jeff.

I'm not sure what "this years" and "last years" are.  Both the Prowlers and the Tridents in 13 and 15 were on the market in 2008.

Prowler 15 will be a wet ride for you.  It's a wet ride for me at 220#.
Prolwer 13 will be a bit of a wet ride for you.
Both Trident 13 and 15 will be dry.  Your weight will not be an issue in either.  Paddle both, they are different beasts IMO.

-Allen

pmanaz

• Herring
I'm in the process of checking out boats as well. I'm 5'8" and 160. 

I've tried a prowler 13, trident 13, prowler 15 and the trident 15.  The prowler 15 seemed like the best tracking and handling of the four, but I didn't like the moulded foot well of either of the 15' foot boats.  I finally settled on the trident 13...I think.  Primairily because of the smooth footwell and dry storage that is easily accessible, and the 13 foot boat seemed a bit easier for me to paddle and maneuver.  I imagine if a guy was looking at trolling all day or spending a lot of time in the big drink the 15 might be a bit better.  My narrow butt was high and dry in both boats.

This is another thing to consider.  I tried different paddles with each boat and was amazed at how a paddle and boat combo make a difference.  I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a trident 13 with a bending branches slice glass angler 230...but since I'm short I may even go with a 220.  I may just spring for the slice glass plus so I can play with the length as I gain more experiance...Oh the decisions.

just my newbie two cents.   

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I have a Bending Branches paddle on sale in the classifieds, adjustable length---a Breeze Twilight, might fit you just fine.
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Howdy jcw, nice to hear that there is another Whatcom county member!  I like the guys at Johnson Outdoors, and they really know their products.  I've been tempted from time to time to buy a sit-in from the the Neki line as well, but I'm too hooked on the fishing from the sit-on's.  The guys in this forum can provide TONS of good info for you regarding the rest of your gear and fittings.
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

jcw

• Plankton
polepole, after looking at Ocean Kayak web page, I believe both boats that I looked at were tridents. I am going to swing by Johnson Outdoors this next week after work and see about getting a test paddle or just rent one for a day to check things out.