Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 03:47:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:50:54 PM]

[Today at 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: running transducer cable through the Yak  (Read 5048 times)

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Thinking about doing the shoot through transducer mounting. Especially for hobie owners, where did you drill the hole for the cable? did you just drill a hole and and goop it in? I quess you have to drill a hole the size of the plug, so the hole will be alot bigger then the cable? I've seen little gizmos that can be used for this with a rubber seal and you screw it tight, but can't think of what there called, anyone use something like that?
See ya on the water..
Roy

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I generally run my wires through a hole under the base of the fishfinder.  There is usually a little slot on the bottom of the base that lets you run the cables out to make them available for the fishfinder connection. 

A drilled out and split cork or rubber stopper works pretty well for stopping up the drilled whole.  However there are wire seals that can be purchased for this purpose.

Here's an NCKA thread about them..
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,8244.msg72808/topicseen.html#msg72808
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I just run the cables under the the lip of the front hatch, mostly because I've been lazy.  But hey, never had a problem doing that. 

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I do just like Pole. Hasn't failed me yet and one less hole in the hull. Also it give the FF the ability to be taken completely off the yak in seconds.

Z

2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
do you have a hard time reaching the finder Zee? I know your pretty long armed, i might have to stretch too far..
See ya on the water..
Roy

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
I just run the cables under the the lip of the front hatch, mostly because I've been lazy.  But hey, never had a problem doing that. 

-Allen

I like that idea. lazy works for me... ;)
See ya on the water..
Roy

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
do you have a hard time reaching the finder Zee? I know your pretty long armed, i might have to stretch too far..

I pretty much set it up before I get on my yak and don't really touch it afterwards. That FF also has a big screen so easy to read. The best thing about having your FF there is that it's out of the way when landing fish and not likely to get thrashed by big fish. Don't ask how I know....

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

Don't ask how I know....

Z

The famous Wali disclaimer... >:D :P

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
I like mine close cause i like to set waypoints and just fiddle with the finder sometimes. but i am concerned about fish thrashing it and having it in the way if i have to self rescue after a huli
See ya on the water..
Roy

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Like Zee, I stick the transducer down inside the hull, it shoots through just fine. I built a dam of Plumber's putty around it to hold it in plce, I pour 1/2 inch of salt water in before sticking in the 'ducer, to give it good contact.  Sonar fades if it has to shoot thru air--even 1/8 inch or so.
  The cables to the unit just come up along the lip of the front hatch, and the hatch closes fine--- it's a reach to turn it on but I only do it once....

Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

-Allen

I didn't have this option on my F-n-D but that's how I've rigged it on the T13. 
I also used the closed cell foam block with a cutout for the transducer to fit in.  Just got done water testing it for 72hrs and it hasn't leaked at all.  Now to get her in the water!!!!!  :)

I can't wait to rig my T11.....   ;)

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Hey, Z, didnt you come up with some kind of FishFinder Skeleton or backbone?? seem to remember it looking prehisteric.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Hey, Z, didnt you come up with some kind of FishFinder Skeleton or backbone?? seem to remember it looking prehisteric.

Just a cord sleeve to organize the spaghetti.

Z

2010 Angler Of The Year

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
ahhhhhhh..........yeh that seems to be the thing i remember seein at the slough put in...
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

anything