Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 02:10:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:10:56 PM]

[Today at 09:53:25 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: New "kayaks"?? from Ocean Kayak  (Read 21821 times)

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Those things are sweet!

The only thing I don't like about the toque is the loss of the center storage. I'd still get one if I had the money and the will to register it.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
So the Torque doesn't seem sooooo bad, now that I've actually seen the demo video. (insert egg on face).

One question though...the guy that takes the torque out on the lake was wearing a PFD but he wasn't wearing one on the Nalu demo video?  What gives?
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
after watching that youtube video I am totally sold.  Little steep in the price though.. It would be awesome for getting out to the offshore (2 plus miles) fishing spots or trolling for salmon in the salt. I like the way they have the motor set up, nice design.   I would be curious what that battery would do during a serious wipe out in the surf? That was always the worry I had with the motor and battery setup I have for my yak, everything is nice and friendly on flat water but turn it upside down a couple times in angry 5 ft breakers and who knows what would happen. Could get expensive quick

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Thanks for the videos.

Only hearing about it, I initially though the torque wouldn't be for me.  After seeing the video it looks like a fish killing machine.  It looks a lot more sea worthy, functional and fishy, than the Native brand electric kayak.

The trolling/backtrolling fishing potential would be awesome.  I've always preferred to have my fishing rod in hand and not in a holder.

I like paddling so definitely won't give up my traditional SOT and would still use it 90% of the time, but sometimes to be an effective fisherman you need constant control over your rod and the torque would allow you to do so.

I won't buy a new one, but will keep my eyes open 3 years from now when hopefully some used ones hit Craig's list.

The video confirmed my thoughts about the Nalu. ;D

steelheadr

• Sturgeon
  • Peterberger Adventures
after watching that youtube video I am totally sold.  Little steep in the price though.. It would be awesome for getting out to the offshore (2 plus miles) fishing spots or trolling for salmon in the salt. I like the way they have the motor set up, nice design.   I would be curious what that battery would do during a serious wipe out in the surf? That was always the worry I had with the motor and battery setup I have for my yak, everything is nice and friendly on flat water but turn it upside down a couple times in angry 5 ft breakers and who knows what would happen. Could get expensive quick

My thoughts exactly on the battery setup in the surf. The rod pod has turned out to be less that stellar at keeping water out when flipped. That would be explosive in the surf!!!!

It looks like these will sell quickly once they start to hit CL.
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
stand up paddler apparently don't need pfds. i think that's part of what makes them so cool.  :P

although I wonder if you have to put on a pfd once you sit down to paddle?

So the Torque doesn't seem sooooo bad, now that I've actually seen the demo video. (insert egg on face).

One question though...the guy that takes the torque out on the lake was wearing a PFD but he wasn't wearing one on the Nalu demo video?  What gives?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:46:51 PM by Alkasazi »

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
I'm obviously not a whiz at batteries, but doesn't that look like the type of battery that isn't supposed to be anything but upright? I guess I have the same concern as PP and steelheader. If that's not a "sealed" battery, a roll in the surf may cause some problems... or not? Anyone have info otherwise?

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
you could replace it with a sealed gel cell battery.  Not cheap, but would solve the problem. I honestly don't think they designed it to be "surf proof" , but if a guy got his hands on one I'm sure it could be moded to handle surf in the range of PC with no problem.

Dory

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
I wonder what running time is on a full charge and how well it paddles with the prop left in once the battery dies.

steelheadr

• Sturgeon
  • Peterberger Adventures
you could replace it with a sealed gel cell battery.  Not cheap, but would solve the problem. I honestly don't think they designed it to be "surf proof" , but if a guy got his hands on one I'm sure it could be moded to handle surf in the range of PC with no problem.

The problem of which type of battery isn't exactly what I was referring to. Obviously, you'd want to use a sealed lead acid or gel cell. I was more concerned with getting water into the battery compartment, shorting out the terminals and potentially causing an explosion.

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
That thing is cool for two reasons. I can finally say my Hobie isn't the most expensive thing out there and to see the look on the face's of the kayaking elitists..priceless!!

so you have to register this thing?
See ya on the water..
Roy

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
so you have to register this thing?

In OR, I guess so.

2011 Angler Of The Year

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
See ya on the water..
Roy

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Might just try and put up my Camo Trident and all the accessories up for sale to be the first captain of one of these babies!
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
This would be an awesome Kayak for trolling. I'm working on a trolling motor setup for the outback for trolling the marshfield channel for Salmon. I'm not too keen on the idea of having to register the thing but i would like to ba able to spend alot more time trolling in the current without my sciatic burning..
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:42:22 PM by coosbayyaker »
See ya on the water..
Roy

anything