Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2026, 10:10:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

[July 30, 2026, 03:52:25 PM]

by [WR]
[July 27, 2026, 10:08:05 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Anyone use Berkley® Air™ IM8 Salmon/Steelhead Spinning?  (Read 16390 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

demonick

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
  • Posts: 2835
Quote from: Lee link=topic=3621.msg36032#msg36032 date=
Spinning.  The threat of encountering the rat's nest effect scares me, so I haven't tried casting reels yet (except for trolling... they look like casters)

Abu makes some nice casters for about $100.  Many casters have a magnetic brake you can set to prevent bird nests.  It puts a tiny bit of free spool drag on the reel to prevent it from free spooling after the line stops stripping.  I usually start a casting session with it set pretty tight and loosen it as the muscle memory kicks in.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com


Lee

  • Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Location: Graham, WA
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
  • Posts: 6091
Is there an advantage to using a caster instead of a spinner?
 


ZeeHawk

  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Location: Seattle, WA
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
  • Posts: 5506
Is there an advantage to using a caster instead of a spinner?
Backlash is a bummer but as long as you're not casting you most likely will never have to deal with it. I like baitcasters for salmon, rock, and bass fishing mainly because of the control you get with your thumb. You can always put a little more pressure on a fish by thumbing the spool a little. I recently started using a conventional reel for bass fishing and really like it for that. I also like being able to slow down casts mid flight. While it takes a while to learn, and yes quite a few backlashes, once you get it down they're awesome.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy


bsteves

  • Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • *****
  • Better fishing through science
  • Location: Portland, OR
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
  • Posts: 4584
Is there an advantage to using a caster instead of a spinner?

Like Zee says..bait casters better cast control.  Another advantage is that you also have reduced line twist with bait casters.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh


Pisco Sicko

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
  • Posts: 1553
I prefer baitcasters, even for simple jigging, again for better control. I find it much easier to sense the bump when I hit the bottom.