Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 10:06:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 05, 2024, 05:55:06 PM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:23:12 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 05:45:18 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: New to the Site- looking for suggestions for a 2nd boat  (Read 5236 times)

pjrflyguy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Glad to see that Kayak fishing has finally landed here in the NW.  I have been a member on the KFS site for about 3 years now, and was happy to find this site.  I have a "Slug Boat" currently, that is to say I own a WS Ride that I fly fish from in lakes and some areas of the Puget sound.  I am interested in participating in some of the trips outings that have been posted on this site, but wonder if this set-up is just too slow for areas like the Straight etc...  Any advice or suggestions?

I have fished Possesion, Fort Casey, Lagoon Point, Fox Island, and Bowman bay, and it always seems like I'm doing much more paddling than fishing.  I attribute this to the "sponson hull" design, which is stable, but feel like I'm giving up a lot of paddling efficency. 

Anyway- thanks in advance for your comments!

Pete

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Welcome pjrflyguy!!!

Hmmm ... I've never paddled a WS ride so it's hard for me to comment.  Can you tell us a little about it and why it's a "slug boat"?  Can you also tell us what size you are as that will affect the input you get?

Definitely do come on some trips with us.  We paddle a wide variety of boats that you can take a for a test drive.  That's the best way to find the right boat for you.

Or you can check out REI Paddle Demo Days (http://www.rei.com/stores/paddle_demodays.html#datetime.  There is one in Seattle on the 10th.  I think REI carries both Ocean Kayak and Wilderness Systems.  If you do go to the one in Seattle (I'm not sure where you are located), do stop by the Ocean Kayak booth and say hi.  I'll be working it.

-Allen

pjrflyguy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Allen,

Here is a link to the WS site for the details on the boat. 

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product.asp?productid=34

The hull design is like a pontoon, which makes the boat stable enough to stand on and cast a fly rod under certain conditions.  I absolutely love this feature for lakes, but I think I pay the price when I put the boat out in the salt and the associated currents.  There must be more drag on a hull of this type right?  I am 5'11" , 160, so I should be able use a sleeker boat for the salt.....  just need to determine the right one!

I live in Issaquah, so I will try to get out to the REI event to demo some other boats.  I am on a waiting list for a bike ride that weekend which rides over HWY 20 from Marblemount to Mazama, so if that comes through then that is where I will be.  I I can make it over, I will certainly look for you. 

Snow Creek looks like fun- need to see how I can negotiate a fishing pass for the weekend....

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
Thanks.  I took a look at the specs.  And here are my observations based on the pictures/specs I see.  Note that I can't find a clear picture of the actual bottom shape, so there is some guessing on my part.

It has decent length and width, not too short and not too wide (in fact, quite narrow compared to what I would have thought it to be).  However, those "pontoons" seem to extend quite a ways from front to back.  So I can see your concerns on surface area.  However, surface are is not the sole determining factor determining speed.  I'll let Pisco Sicko discuss this a bit as I think he is way more versed on hull shape than me.  I can see how this could be an ultra stable hull, but I don't see it being overly slow.  I don't see it being the fastest either.  If you're looking for speed, you might want to check out VictoriaPaddlers review of the Ocean Kayak SPTW buried in this topic http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=24.0.  At 5'11" and 160#, that boat may fit you.  Or you can check out one of the longer boats (length helps speed, again I'll leave this discussion to Pisco Sicko) like the Prowler or the T160 or the Hobie Big Adventure.  Lot's of people here have driven the Prowler so you can get some good feedback.  Snag-a-but has owned both the T160 and the Hobie Big A so he should have some good feedback there as well.

All that being said, I see no problems with using, and enjoying, the Ride in the salt water.  I read some reviews and most people that own them seem to like them.  The major comments seem to be that it is indeed stable.  And it's not the fastest, but not the slowest either.  It's a bit on the heavy side, but that's not always bad, especially if you're on the lighter side (compared to me at 210# for instance).  It also tracks pretty decently.  I found very few people saying too many bad things about it.  All that being said, I'd say get a faster yak!   ;D  Test drive as many as you can, and buy a new one that "fits" you.  Use the old one to introduce someone to this sport.   :)  Hah!!

-Allen

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
I've no experience with this boat, either, and like Polepole I've got to guess about the hull shape and it's effects.

The width given is maybe a little narrower than a lot of SOTs, but if it carries all the way down to the loaded waterline,(which sounds likely with the high stability comments), it could be a factor in slower performance. At non-planing (or surfing) speeds, frontal area and surface area will cause drag that will constantly slow a boat down. The length of the boat will affect the top speed. The Ride is on the short side-  the Prowler is 2' longer.  Wish I had more time to give you a better overview, but feel free to ask, if you have more questions.

BTW, I fish out of a rowboat, most of the time, and I'm often doing more rowing than fishing, especially in less than ideal conditions. I'm willing to row a lot to find the right conditions, rather than just wetting a line and hoping something good will happen, where it's not likely.

All for now- welcome aboard!

snag-a-but

• Herring
pjrflyguy

I have owned the T-160i and now own the Hobie Adventure. Both are excellent but if I were you I would take a good look at the Scupper pro. It will fit you very very nicely. The Tarpon and prowler 15 will work as well and the pedal system (mirage drive) of the Hobie is no gimmick. Try and test as many as you can

Here's a pic of both, the Hobie is not as sleek looking as the T-160i but the design and detail on the Hobie is unreal.

Good luck!

anything