Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 03:32:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 11:10:55 AM]

[Today at 10:22:17 AM]

[Today at 08:15:15 AM]

[Today at 07:28:03 AM]

[June 05, 2024, 06:23:12 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Some Depoe Bay Info  (Read 12221 times)

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
1.) What would be a reasonable number of yaks through the hole at a time? 
Say one has the horn, and probably a VHF, and a few others don't and plan to commute through the hole together as one unit.

I would say that groups of three or four might be a good idea. Anything more than that and I think we'd have to apply for a permit for having a marine parade!  ;D

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010

If Oregon is anything like Washington then your assumption is correct.  If you are using the facility, even if only for parking, you are required to pay the launch fee.

In OR if you see a sign saying "Day use fee required" then you pay to park.

Depoe Bay to my knowledge is one paid permit per craft launched.  Anyone is welcome to hang out down there as it is also a city park w/playground equipment etc.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

jigmaster

• Herring
  • 48# butt off of PA . 6 oz white Dungeness Stinger
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Hug the shore and wear bright colors... Wave  American flags ... sound an airhorn and smile cause you love to paddle and catch fish.....    That's the plan Stan :banjo:
..Calm winds and fair seas..

FishSniffer

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Mirage Adv., Outback SUV, OK Scrambler XT's
  • Midcoast Chapter of Northwest Steelheaders
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Speaking of Harbormaster, is there some kind of heads up we need to provide to them as a group putting on a tournament or has this base already been covered?

Yes, the Harbormaster has been informed and will be reminded again.

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Dumb question, but would a rescue whistle suffice in place of a horn?  ???  I really don't want to buy another piece of equipment if I don't have to. 

I got one of the medium sized horns at Englund for $11.50.

See ya on the water..
Roy

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
What depths and currents should we expect?

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007

Well, you can fish out to 40 fathoms (240 ft), but generally you'll want to stay less than 80 ft to avoid canary and yelloweye rockfish.  As for currents, it varies depending on the tide, but nearshore ocean currents are pretty light compared to river and sound currents.   Usually, wind causes more havoc than current in the ocean.   I don't know much about the currents at the entrance to Depoe Bay, but it's not a huge stretch so I'm sure you can power through.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
The only current that developes in the channel of Depoe is the surge from the surf as far as I've been able to tell. The currents in the area pictured above ("A", "B", "C") are seemingly non-exsistent. As B mentioned, the wind is your promary concern. Outside of that area, the dominent current pattern in the summer is north to south. However, according to some of the locals I've talked to, the currents anywhere nearshore in that area can sometimes just do whatever they want.

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

jself

current at florence is less that 1.5kts on 6/19. should be pretty dosile at Depoe Bay. We'll see about the swell and wind!

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
It was mentioned going in/out in groups.  Anyone else thing a 'securite' announcement might be a good idea if this is the case?
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
It was mentioned going in/out in groups.  Anyone else thing a 'securite' announcement might be a good idea if this is the case?

Not sure what you mean? are you taking something like a "safety chat"?  Or a group roll call for those who would feel more comfortable heading out in a group?   or?

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
I don't think a securite call is necessary. Something like this would work:

"Kayak vessel(s) outbound Depoe Bay, over."

If the coasties are listening, then they'll say something like:

"You're all clear"

That's pretty much it. Again, this exchange is to alert anyone else listening in on that channel(channel 80) that you are making your way through the channel, not just communicating with the CG. Sometimes the CG doesn't even reply. You'll need to make sure that you listen in after you make your call that someone else doesn't come back and say that they're on their way through from the other direction and you should hold your position.

2011 Angler Of The Year

jself

I don't think a securite call is necessary. Something like this would work:

"Kayak vessel(s) outbound Depoe Bay, over."

If the coasties are listening, then they'll say something like:

"You're all clear"

That's pretty much it. Again, this exchange is to alert anyone else listening in on that channel(channel 80) that you are making your way through the channel, not just communicating with the CG. Sometimes the CG doesn't even reply. You'll need to make sure that you listen in after you make your call that someone else doesn't come back and say that they're on their way through from the other direction and you should hold your position.

I usually call myself kayaker Jason.....call it out 3 times.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
While we're on the topic of VHF usage, I thought it might be a good idea to throw these out there:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/boater.htm
http://www.boatingsafety.com/vhf1.htm

These are great references of proper VHF radio usage.  If you find yourself in trouble, you for sure want to know how to effectively call for help.  Additionally, even if you do not experience an emergency yourself, it is nice to know what is going on if you start hearing chatter on the radio to see if you can help.

2011 Angler Of The Year

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
After ya radio your intended outbound or inbound intent, do you wait for the CG or others to respond before tooting the air horn?

Also, I still don't have a solid reference to where we are traveling to once we exit the hole.  And without giving away your hidey hole fishing spots,  are we shooting straight out to the bouys and heading North or South to fish, or are we fishing between land and the bouys/reefs? 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

anything