Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2026, 06:49:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

[July 30, 2026, 03:52:25 PM]

by [WR]
[July 27, 2026, 10:08:05 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Tualatin River - What is this fish?  (Read 9188 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Stackofhay

  • Perch
  • ***
  • Location: Hillsboro OR
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
  • Posts: 52
Put in at Rood Bridge Park this evening and saw some surface action about 1/2 mile downstream.  Floated a "Parachute Adams" fly and this guy took it down.  It had no teeth and I was not sure what I caught.  Is it obvious and I'm missing something?

Ironically when I put in a guy was there training his dog to fetch a decoy bag and he told me that he once read in Guiness book of records (before he moved to Oregon in 1982) that Tualatin river was listed as a river with a record number of species.  Really?


craig

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Tualatin, OR
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
  • Posts: 3819
A pea mouth chub i think.


craig

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Tualatin, OR
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
  • Posts: 3819
I just found this link for a more accurate description.  It was the first fish I ever caught when I moved to Oregon.  I had no clue what it was so i photoed and released to research it when i got home.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fish_profile/peamouth_chub.html


Stackofhay

  • Perch
  • ***
  • Location: Hillsboro OR
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
  • Posts: 52
That seems a likely candidate.  The description said they are poor fighters and he did give up pretty quickly.  He had a fairly chunky belly...whatever he was eating there must be plenty of it.  Thanks for the info...my first pea mouth chub!    Wonder if that species is in the AOTY contest!?  :D


INSAYN

  • ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • *
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Location: Forest Grove, OR
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
  • Posts: 5417
That seems a likely candidate.  The description said they are poor fighters and he did give up pretty quickly.  He had a fairly chunky belly...whatever he was eating there must be plenty of it.  Thanks for the info...my first pea mouth chub!    Wonder if that species is in the AOTY contest!?  :D

No, that would be..."Bait".  ;D
 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15


Pelagic

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Oregon City & Netarts
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
  • Posts: 2469
Looks more like a Northern Pike Minnow (aka squawfish) to me.  Would be more certain if I had a better view of the mouth.  I'm sure Bsteves will set us all straight.


EOB

  • Lingcod
  • *****
  • Location: Below McNary Dam
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
  • Posts: 256
Pelagic is right you got yourself a squawfish.


INSAYN

  • ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • *
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Location: Forest Grove, OR
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
  • Posts: 5417
This should help a little.   ;)

How to tell the difference between a Northern Pikeminnow, and the Peamouth.
http://www.pikeminnow.org/How%20to%20tell%20a%20peamouth.html
 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15


Stackofhay

  • Perch
  • ***
  • Location: Hillsboro OR
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
  • Posts: 52
His body shape was more like the Pikeminnow as shown in the description site INSAYN posted.  Particularly that chunky belly.  Also, his mouth went to his eyeline, I noted that.  Interesting that they get confused with Pea Mouth since we seem to be showing a clear example of that.  Now I know!  ;)