Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 03:34:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:21:15 PM]

[Today at 01:13:47 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:59:33 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:40:13 AM]

by Spot
[May 29, 2024, 11:32:10 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 07:37:19 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 06:19:06 AM]

[May 27, 2024, 09:56:01 PM]

by PNW
[May 27, 2024, 03:12:21 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: New Guy - ? about sit-in yaks.  (Read 6494 times)

Weasel

• Plankton
  • Carpe Lumen! Photography
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Hi!

I have an Old Towne Dirigo 12' that I've used for wildlife photography but not fishing.  And now I want to.  Surfing the web would have you believe that a sit-on-top is the only way to go for fishing.  Consequently, most - if not all - of the info I've found over the last couple of days is predicated on one owning that type of kayak. Preferably a Hobie or Ocean Kayak.   

So, I'm looking for info from folks who have converted a sit-in yak like mine into a fishing kayak.  How to's, photos (especially photos), etc.  What say ye?

Thanks!!

Jerry
I have a free ranging, roaming mind.  Sometimes it reports back to me...

Madoc

• Lingcod
  • Kayak.Yng
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Search for posts by Nanook and PSR - I know Nanook is still active on the board and fishes from a SInK, although I think he is primarily handlining.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
My opinion is, if it floats, you can fish from it.  I have a sit on top that I started using last year, but I have done more fishing from my sit-in kayak.   Mainly because until a few years ago, I didn't even know there was the SOT alternative.  I was reading a Western Outdoors magazine and they had an article about Kayak fishing and everyone was using the SOTs.  It was then that I saw the benefit of being able to move around and hang the legs over the side and that's when I decided to get the SOT.  I also fish from a canoe and a pirogue.  Its easier to take a kid along with when I use these.

The nice thing about the SOT is that if you are out on big water and you end up in the water, they are easier to get in and the cockpit is self draining.

-Craig

craig

• Sturgeon
I mounted one of these Scotty mounts in front of the cockpit opening far enough ahead that if I have a rod in for trolling, the rod wont interfere with my paddling stroke. It is a triple mount so you can put a rod older and fish finder on it.

I just put the tackle trays in the hatch behind my seat.  I may have to start doing yoga though.  Its getting harder to turn around that far to get stuff out. :)

I also put a flush mount directly behind the seat that I could put my downrigger or another rod holder in to carry a spare rod vertically so it won't affect my paddle stroke. 

It is a simple set-up that I have used in rivers and lakes so far.  I would like to say I catch a lot of fish using this but I'd be lying.  However, I don't think its my set-up that causes my lack of success.  The blame falls on my lack of fishing time and skill. ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:17:13 PM by craig »

craig

• Sturgeon
Also, I forgot to mention, I have an anchor trolley that I can switch from side to side.

Here is a link to some rigged kayaks at Hook One's website.  There are a couple of SINKs shown.

http://kayakfishinggear.com/otherriggedkayaks.aspx

-Craig

troutbait

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Welcome Weasel:
I use a SINK and am now saving for a Hobie OB. Sink are ok in the right places but not in the ocean unless you go a little extreme Like I did  :embarassed:. Look at "sink for the big blue". I started to fix my yak because I rolled mine last Jan. I put a post up on what happen to me
OVER CONFIDENCE ALMOST DID ME IN. >:( You want a SOT for safety on the ocean so you can do a self rescue when needed. Or you need a Sea Kayak which is safer than what I got. I haven't had mine in the ocean yet but I'm going to be doing a trial run up at coosbay pretty soon to see if what I done to my Yak works ??? This all depends on what kind of fishing you are going to do. :banjo:

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Welcome...I fish from a OT Vapor Angler 12xt (sit-in) yak. I actually picked it up as a demo.

I originally fished from a sit-in Costco special for a couple of years that I rigged with 2 flush mounts behind the seat and 2 Scotty mounts in front for my FF and main rod holder. I also added an anchor trolley.  I mainly used it to drop crab pots and bottom fishing in the beginning but wanted to try salmon fishing.

I only bought the vapor because it was an awesome deal. I did add a mount for my FF. and and rod holder up front. I've gone out a few times with some of the guys from the forum using my Vapor but I only fish in South Puget Sound. I don't think I would take it out in the ocean.
I do plan on getting a SOT in the future..probably a mirage especially after seeing Zee scooting around in his >:D

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
we also have members Tomas [ South African import], Yakker [ hand built cedar strip beauty of a boat], and ArmyJim who use SInKs. Jim is in alaska using a Zoar Sport. all fish quite well from their SInKs.

Our resident SINKER expert is Nanook, as mentioned before. BUT, we have a tru OGYF in residence here in the form of Kallitype. we keep begging him for tales of days gone by but them seem to elude us.  >:D
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Your timing is pretty good.  This thread is from this same subforum.  Troutbait has been working hard outfitting his SINK:

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,5205.0.html
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

NCWflounderer

• Rockfish
i myself am relatively new to this forum.  i have a WS Pungo 120, i have mounted RAM rod holders out front (they are nice cause they are very adjustable) so i can keep them out of my paddle stroke.  i mainly fish from ponds and small lakes here in central washington, and wouldnt even know where to begin in the ocean- i wouldnt trust this little "rec" kayak on the ocean. the few things i've picked up is: dont drill until your sure you know youve got the right spot to put something, dress for immersion (you get wet), and leashes are important- leash your rod, your paddle, your gear. my next project is a anchor trolley system- the people on this forum are very knowlegable and seem to have encountered most issues.  i only wish i could figure out how to put a rudder on my kayak to make trolling a little easier- then i might be brave enough to voyage into the Columbia for the record Salmon runs we seem to have been having.  

NCWflounderer

• Rockfish
some pics of my sink used in lakes and ponds

jself

I personally think most flatwater rec boats make great flat/mildwater fishing boats.

They'd be good for ocean, but most lack the safety features of a "sea" kayak. If you have front and back bulheads, perimiter line to hold on to should you come out of the boat, there's no reason why you couldn't fish the ocean from one.

Weasel

• Plankton
  • Carpe Lumen! Photography
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Thanks for all the replies!  I should have noted that, for now, I only plan on fishing in lakes (Crane, Diamond, Davis, etc.) and possibly upper tidewater in rivers.

Jerry
I have a free ranging, roaming mind.  Sometimes it reports back to me...

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Yep, what everybody else said.
Most folk fish on an SOT, but that's not what everybody does.
Me? I'll fish from anything and one of my favorite small water boats is this one:

the main reason that's its a small water boat for me is that I'm too big for it.
The dashboard is what makes it work for me. It makes rigging MUCH easier. Here's some more rigging ideas:

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,749.msg5033.html#msg5033

the only real problem with kayaks is that if you leave them in the yard long enough, they multiple like rabbits.

It is the cure
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:26:02 AM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
go into member galleries and check out my pix of Barkley Sound in the 1980's....

Here's my Northwest Cadence 17foot  SINK, trolling a buzzbomb...when I had hair!!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

anything