Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 10:01:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:49:03 AM]

[Today at 09:04:10 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:59:33 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:40:13 AM]

by Spot
[May 29, 2024, 11:32:10 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 07:37:19 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 06:19:06 AM]

[May 27, 2024, 09:56:01 PM]

by PNW
[May 27, 2024, 03:12:21 PM]

[May 27, 2024, 07:56:46 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Big LING prize!  (Read 10227 times)

kiawanda jr

my little ling. i hope somebody can beat it!

not fishing today. forgot my shades yesterday and got gnarly burn on the eyeballs.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:08:58 AM by kiawanda jr »

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Thats a good Ling Kjr. I'm gonna sneak out for a bit at Sunset and see what i can scare up..
See ya on the water..
Roy

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
36". 16.5#  from PC

Pics and story to come

Jay

edit:
I hit the water at 8am and saw 3 other kayaks out by the rock at PC. Two came in as I was heading out, a man and a woman. Neither seemed to want to say 'Hi'. As I passed the rock, the third kayaker seemed to be heading in and said the fishing was slow, mostly in the deeper water. That was ok for me as I was looking for some bigger fish.

The wind was light but there was a consistent swell of 5' in sets of 4. Today I tried a Scopace with my breakfast and 2 drops of Insayn's no-barf perfume as I hit the sand. Clear, cloudless and nearly calm winds makes the swell much easier to deal with.

I paddled out past the rock and started jigging. I had an early hit that turned out to be an underling, not much bigger than my lure. I'll be looking for him again in a year or two. The fishing continued to be very slow. I paddled in a bit and dropped my line again. Fairly soon, I felt a big tug and set the hook. There wasn't much fighting but things felt heavy. I figured it was a big cabby, especially since they are closed.

As things approached the surface, I saw a ling hitchhiking my black rockie. I also saw other shadows but couldn't make them out. It was obvious that this ling was a keeper so I kept them a foot or two below the surface and grabbed my gaff (for the first time ever!). I slowly raised my rod, bringing everyone closer. The ling seemed to not care. One good gaff was all it took. What a mouth!

It turns out I had a rockie triple on line and a 36" ling hitchhiker. All were successfully landed and in the cooler.

For the rest of the morning, I only caught one more rockie (a small upgrade).

As I fished my way in, I did hook a good size cabby but released him for another day. It was beautful weather, decent seas and the BIGGEST LING FOR ME TO DATE.   ;D

Jay
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:04:01 AM by steelheadr »
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Zippo form NorCal.  A ton of underling, even more greenlings (I can't remember the last time I caught this many, perhaps 30!), but only a couple blacks went home with me for dinner.

-Allen

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
heading out tomorrow for my weekend. working normal weekends suck sometimes...
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

Abking

• Lingcod
  • I put on the Gimme Shelter Tournament Series
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Nice work, steelheadr - great report.  That's a nice ling and a great story.   :)
See you at Gimme Shelter

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
36". 16.5#  from PC

Pics and story to come

Jay

edit:
I hit the water at 8am and saw 3 other kayaks out by the rock at PC. Two came in as I was heading out, a man and a woman. Neither seemed to want to say 'Hi'. As I passed the rock, the third kayaker seemed to be heading in and said the fishing was slow, mostly in the deeper water. That was ok for me as I was heading out to the 120+' range looking for some bigger fish.

The wind was light but there was a consistent swell of 5' in sets of 4. Today I tried a Scopace with my breakfast and 2 drops of Insayn's no-barf perfume as I hit the sand. Clear, cloudless and nearly calm winds makes the swell much easier to deal with.

I paddled about 3/4 mile past the rock and started jigging in 130'. I had an early hit that turned out to be an underling, not much bigger than my lure. I'll be looking for him again in a year or two. The fishing continued to be very slow. I paddled in a bit to a short rise of 120' and dropped my line again. Fairly soon, I felt a big tug and set the hook. There wasn't much fighting but things felt heavy. I figured it was a big cabby, especially since they are closed.

As things approached the surface, I saw a ling hitchhiking my black rockie. I also saw other shadows but couldn't make them out. It was obvious that this ling was a keeper so I kept them a foot or two below the surface and grabbed my gaff (for the first time ever!). I slowly raised my rod, bringing everyone closer. The ling seemed to not care. One good gaff was all it took. What a mouth!

Very nice Ling.. Nice and thick!   

Just a heads up to yah Steelheader..... BUT bottom fishing (which includes lings) is closed outside 20 fathoms :o   Might want to adjust your post accordingly..... http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/finfish/groundfish_sport/sport%20fishing/index.asp
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:27:21 PM by pelagic paddler »

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
None kept. Several underlings and 3 hitch hikers. See full story under reports... =)

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Went out at Sunset for my chance at the big ling. All i got was big swell! At 1:10 a wave comes out of nowhere and breaks 10 feet away. I think the look on my face at 2:36 says it all. It's kinda long having editing issues..

See ya on the water..
Roy

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Fished w/ TheTallMan today and got a 34" ling. TTM had the hot stick and also got a 34"er.

Z
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:02:58 PM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures

Very nice Ling.. Nice and thick!  

Just a heads up to yah Steelheader..... BUT bottom fishing (which includes lings) is closed outside 20 fathoms :o   Might want to adjust your post accordingly..... http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/finfish/groundfish_sport/sport%20fishing/index.asp

Thanks Ron,
All depths are approximate at best. The drift was a bit weird. The DFW fish checker got the same story but didn't seem to take any notice.

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Yah, where I was fishing the drift (wind) was straight west in the AM.

Looks like you are the winner hands down!   Awesome Job!  Nice fish!

PM me your address and I will send the "trophy" your direction.

I am going to do some small mods to the "trophy" so its easier for recording anglers names/fish and to personalize it more.  I will post a thread (that maybe can be made a sticky) on how the "trophy" works and what's expected to keep the thing on the move. It should be headed your way by the end of the week!

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Nicely done all!

Jay, that's a real prize to go with your prize.

Zee and TTM, nice job on the twins.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Nice fatty J and congrats. Was hoping the winner would come through with a brute and you did not disappoint!! :hello2:

I will post a thread (that maybe can be made a sticky) on how the "trophy" works and what's expected to keep the thing on the move.
"The annual wood shampoo" award? :violent1: Get 'er up under "Events" and will be stickied.

Z
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:26:07 PM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Congratulations Jay, that's a great ling.  Glad to see you finally moved beyond that guano pile of a rock and caught  a decent fish.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh