Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:23:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 22, 2024, 03:13:08 PM]

[May 22, 2024, 08:32:04 AM]

[May 22, 2024, 08:23:42 AM]

[May 21, 2024, 05:54:13 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 12:36:33 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Lowrance LHR-80 false DSC alert  (Read 5350 times)

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
  • Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the safety forum. In any event you should note the short story.

Short story:

My Lowrance LHR-80 sent out a false DSC alert while inside the hull of my kayak and powered on.

Long story:

I was in the second of 3 long days of taking an ACA level I, II instructor certification course. (how to teach paddling basics and guide folk without drowning them). Great course, going well, with good people. Everybody was booted up with guide quality PFD's with the accompanying throw bags, tow lines, river knives, vhf....

I had my inflatable horse collar with a dive knife and LHR80 hung on the single waist band that secures the vest. ::)  (my good pfd's are in Oregon)

Even though the inflatable is wholly adequate for my conditions (warm, shallow water, close assistance, and swelteringly hot air temps, not to mention it's USCG approved), I was suffering severe PFD envy, not to mention the occasional stinkeye from the ACA level 4, BCU 3 star instructor.
At least I had the coolest radio with the "I've fallen and I can't get up" button.

That said, be assured that I am not "that guy" who'd set off his DSC just to compensate for his flaccid float.1  I'm pretty nutty, but I am not stupid. That shit would not only be stupid and dangerous, but SHOULD be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. That's not just a disclaimer. I firmly believe that a bill for scrambling any rescue services would be totally appropriate for anybody initiating a false alarm. I think I would have to forward that on to Lowrance if one comes in the mail for this one though.

We were starting to work on rescues and I put my radio in my center hatch so it wouldn't fall off (like my commando phone that disappeared quietly over the side without a float the day before) and then dumped the Hobie BigA over.

Note that my radio was on while we were on the water in compliance with USCG's and FCC regs that say "any vessel equipped with a VHF marine radiotelephone (whether voluntarily or required to) must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radiotelephone is not being used to communicate". 2 I suppose that putting it inside the boat could be construed as not keeping a proper watch, but the LHR80 is extraordinarily loud and can easily be heard through the hull; especially the DSC alert.

We went on practicing various self and assisted rescues and it was actually kinda fun. Then somebody mentioned that FWC was checking us out. But that was not unusual as it was the weekend and we were in a popular fishing creek off the ICW.  I didn't give it any thought as I was in the middle of a T-rescue and had a boat in my lap.

Then I heard someone say "Walter?"

I turned and said "Yeah?" to the 26' center console with two burbling 225 mercs that had appeared out of thin water right behind me.

One of the two FWC officer's said "how you doing?"

I cheerily said "I'm fine! How's it going with you?"
At that point I was kinda tickled as I thought it was somebody I'd met before who recognized me and just came over to say hello.

It was not.

He said he was fine and that he was there answering a call for help from an epirb registered to Walter Nomes. He said the Coast Guard had started a search and a helo was on it's way.

My heart sank to the bottom of the five feet of water and 4 feet of mud under my boat (right next to my phone). I wanted to crawl into the swamped kayak that was on my lap. I knew it had to be the LHR80 inside the boat. It's the only registered piece of gear I own.

I quickly changed my tone to "yes sir" and assured him that I was indeed ok despite the fact that I had a boat in my lap and a fellow student clinging to it's stern. I further assured him that there must be a problem with my radio as I had not issued any alert. I took the radio out of the hatch and assured him (again) that this was NOT part of our drill.

He asked me to turn it off, then radioed the CG to make sure that it had stopped.

It did.

He asked for my phone number and said that it was one of the two numbers registered to that epirb. (no, I was not about to correct him that it was a DSC and my name is Gomes) He said the CG had called and left a message on it and that I might want to call my wife as it was the other number they'd tried.

I thanked them profusely, assured them yet again that this was a radio problem and that I'd be in contact with the manufacturer asap, and apologized for any inconvenience I'd caused.

They assured me that it was they're job and burbled off back into the Intracoastal canal.

I paddled in to call home (after I got my classmate back into his boat) and ended up calling the CG instead (last missed call) assured them that I was ok and this was an error and not a prank.

I REALLY hate it when that happens as I NEVER want to cry wolf as I don't want to waste the critical resources that could be needed elsewhere. I also REALLY want them to come if I do use it. We actually had a journey in fairly stiff current and somewhat challenging conditions the next day and I was afraid to turn my radio on.
I talked with my instructor and showed him that it was downright difficult to set it off accidentally.

There is a small plastic door that fits almost flush with the side of the radio that covers the distress button. To activate the DSC distress signal,  you lift the cover, press and hold the button for 3 seconds, then the signal is sent and the radio beeps LOUDLY until it's acknowledged or canceled by me.
None of that happened.

He said all that he could think of was to go read the manual and see what else could set it off. The radio is supposed to be submersible to JIS 7 standards and floats. The inside of my hull was wet, but did not have any standing water. The manual didn't have anything to add.

Later I called the Coast Guard back to make sure that I'd followed proper protocols and get details of the incident. Both times that I called, they knew who I was.  :-\ Not the kind of notoriety I'd like.
I explained what happened and although he was not familiar with that particular radio, he said it happens occasionally and that I should contact the manufacturer. He said it was good that the system worked and that the radio was actually with me. He also said that ofttimes the radio has been sold or stolen and that wasted even more resources in non-emergencies.
I also asked about maintaining a radio watch and he said that was correct, even in the kayak.

The Coast Guard recv'd the DSC call at 1502. The FWC was at the scene at about 1510.

DSC works.

Now I just got to get it to work only when I want it to.

This is what FWC was greeted with when they came into the creek in response to the call:

FWC burbling out,, probably shaking their heads.

(but note FWC's booted up pfd's) ;D

1.The inflatable PFD gets hard when it needs to be (just gotta give it a little tug) ;D

2.  FCC 47 CFR §§ 80.148, 80.310   

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:47:39 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Hey Wali, I'll bet its a result of the solar storms we are now having. I just read somewhere else that they might be affecting gps units by messing up the signal and giving them false readings.  Perhaps that might have had something to do with it. This current solar storm is supposed to be a whopper.

Reminds me of when I called the rescue squad when one of my surf buddies "disappeared" on a big day, and an entire team showed up, complete with search'n rescue chopper. So much for "the buddy system." But that's another story.
ConeHeadMuddler

willbd

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Thanks for the information on a false DSC alert and requirements to keep watch on Chanel 16 for  anyone with a VHF radio.

I never thought of what to do if I sent out a DSC alert by mistake or failure of equipment.
I did a google and found this... http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=falseAlerts

Digital Selective Calling
*Appropriate signals should precede these messages in accordance with the ITU Radio Regulations chapter NIX.
**This applies when the false alert is detected during transmission.
1 VHF
switch off transmitter immediately**;
switch equipment on and set to Channel 16; and
make broadcast to "All Stations" giving the ship's name, call sign and DSC number, and cancel the false distress alert.
Example:
All Stations, All Stations, All Stations
This is NAME, CALL SIGN,
DSC NUMBER, POSITION.
Cancel my distress alert of
DATE, TIME UTC,
= Master NAME, CALL SIGN,
DSC NUMBER, DATE, TIME UTC.

willbd

jstonick

I hope it is not a problem in general with the LHR-80. I just got one a couple of weeks ago. I could not find anything on google with respect to this being a problem for that unit.

Interesting comment about the solar storm. I was driving this weekend and all of a sudden my Garmin GPS (in my truck) said lost satellite reception while driving on an open road. That was the first time that had happened to me in the couple of years I have had that unit.

One thing for sure is that I need to brush up on the protocol stuff for having a VHF radio. Spot did a nice job of going over it when he taught the Westside class, but I have forgotten most everything. If anyone has a site that they like for this type of information please post it.

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
Thanks for the information on a false DSC alert and requirements to keep watch on Chanel 16 for  anyone with a VHF radio.

I never thought of what to do if I sent out a DSC alert by mistake or failure of equipment.
I did a google and found this... http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=falseAlerts

Digital Selective Calling
*Appropriate signals should precede these messages in accordance with the ITU Radio Regulations chapter NIX.
**This applies when the false alert is detected during transmission.
1 VHF
switch off transmitter immediately**;
switch equipment on and set to Channel 16; and
make broadcast to "All Stations" giving the ship's name, call sign and DSC number, and cancel the false distress alert.
Example:
All Stations, All Stations, All Stations
This is NAME, CALL SIGN,
DSC NUMBER, POSITION.
Cancel my distress alert of
DATE, TIME UTC,
= Master NAME, CALL SIGN,
DSC NUMBER, DATE, TIME UTC.

willbd

Thanks willbd! The CG did not mention that and I did not see that in my subsequent search. Although I certainly don't ever expect to let this happen again, that's good to know and any of y'all with a dsc-vhf might want to take note.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Wali, as usual, YOU ROCK!

Thanks for taking another one for the team and letting us know what "could" happen.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
Pretty disappointing response from Lowrance (although they did answer the phone in a reasonable amount of time). After shuffling through a couple of customer service people and verifying my unit, I was told that I could send it in for evaluation and if it was determined to be defective, they would replace it for $160 and warrant it for 6 months. If it checked out ok, they would only charge me $70 for checking it out and send it back. :-/

I told him that I could buy a new unit with a 1 year warranty for $200 with shipping. Or I could just keep using the unit and send them the bill for any charges or lawsuits stemming from any more false alarms from their product.

He said I could write the products division and take it up with them and gave me a return authorization number.

I told him that I would include it and send it along with the reports from the Coast Guard and FWC as well.

He asked if that resolved my issue and if there was anything else he could help me with today.

Guess not.  :-\

Thanks for taking another one for the team and letting us know what "could" happen.

-Spot-

To paraphrase Danny Glover in "Leathal Weapon": I'm getting too 'ol for this shit
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:15:40 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »

jstonick

Well, I am hanging on every word Fishesfromtupperware. I have an LHR-80 as well. I did a Google search and did not come up with any hits on false distress calls on LHR-80s so I am hoping (hate it when I have to rely on that) that it is not a design flaw. Is it possible some sand or dirt got behind the button and some pressure on the red panel caused some flex and was enough to set it off?

willbd

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
That sounds like bad customers service.
I just purchased a standard horizon hx851for $200.

3 year Waterproof Warranty - If the Standard Horizon HX851 fails for any reason (including water damage) during normal use for the first 3 years of ownership, Standard Horizon will repair or replace it free, without hassles or charges. If it fails for anytime thereafter in normal use, for as long as the original purchaser owns the radio, Standard Horizon's Lifetime Flat Rate and Customer Loyalty Service Programs will cover it.

I think the flat fee is $67.

willbd

yaksurf

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Thank's for the follow up Wali.  It will affect my next purchase when I upgrade my VHF radio which I'm looking at doing. 
1st Place 2010 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
1st Place 2011 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
4th Place Gemme Shelter Six Annual Tournament
3rd Place 2012 Sunset Bay AOTD
3rd Place 2013 Sunset Bay AOTD
1st Place 2014 Sunset Bay AOTD

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
Well, I am hanging on every word Fishesfromtupperware.

Don't hang up yet. Lemme see what response I get from products@lowrance.com
I'm REALLY hoping for a positive outcome as the radio has been a gem until now.  Holds a charge well, tx and rx's just great and it seems to sip power pretty gently too. It did great in Mexico.  It really is dang near the perfect radio for the yak.. until now.

I did a Google search and did not come up with any hits on false distress calls on LHR-80s so I am hoping (hate it when I have to rely on that) that it is not a design flaw.

My search-fu may not be as strong as yours, but I did the same search and came up with nada.

Is it possible some sand or dirt got behind the button and some pressure on the red panel caused some flex and was enough to set it off?

While anything is possible, that seems rather unlikely.  Although the radio was inside the hull unsecured, it would be fairly challenging to have the cover fly open, have some sand jam in the button, then slam shut and hold it for at least 3 seconds (Their really is not that much sand in my hull) On top of that, I never heard any alert tone and that is a LOUD tone.

I have had the radio for almost 2 years and I wouldn't object to a reasonable replacement fee if it did not work.
But false alarms are a whole nuther thing AND to pay THEM for the privilege to investigate what appears to be their problem!!!!
Ahhhh no.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Gonna have to get one of those VHF's. Response time like that is gold!
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Good info.

But, I hope I don't have any issues. Just ordered 2 of these and should be in on Friday.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jstonick

While anything is possible, that seems rather unlikely.  Although the radio was inside the hull unsecured, it would be fairly challenging to have the cover fly open, have some sand jam in the button, then slam shut and hold it for at least 3 seconds (Their really is not that much sand in my hull) On top of that, I never heard any alert tone and that is a LOUD tone.

I have had the radio for almost 2 years and I wouldn't object to a reasonable replacement fee if it did not work.
But false alarms are a whole nuther thing AND to pay THEM for the privilege to investigate what appears to be their problem!!!!
Ahhhh no.

Sorry, I had forgotten you had your radio in your hull. I was picturing it kind of wet and dirty with stuff possibly piled on top of it.

Please keep us informed on what you learn going forward. I agree that Lowrance's response is pathetic (sorry if it did not sound that way). I hope that you get a happy resolution in the end!

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I hope that you get a happy resolution in the end!

Where is AJ when you need him?!