Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:43:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:11:23 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 10:00:06 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:43:13 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 03:48:56 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by Zach
[June 13, 2024, 06:12:39 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

[June 07, 2024, 08:15:15 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: 4-19 through the 22nd trip planning  (Read 7568 times)

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Can we pick a spot?  My vote is anchor point, points and blood almost assured.  We can attack whiskey gulch when it's a bit easier to access.  Need to know soon, so I can shuffle my gear and rigs to fit the situation.  Hopefully by tomorrow we can chisel something in stone so I can get ready....got a hot date Friday
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I vote anchor point Saturday. And I'll be around Sunday for another trip somewhere else too.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ok I'm in for AP.   the only issue there is a potential haul to the beach I'd think. Even then I don't think the timing is going to hit max low. Early start though. SW they are forecasting sucks though   Max fetch. But I'm betting morning will be calm and sw wind will push us back up so it's the right direction if things get choppy.

Now that we have a primary location, let's talk timing and logistics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
Just curious....how far is this haul you speak of?

Tell me a time and place, and I'll be there.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Okay here's the current chart for Saturday

Off shore slack is around 10:30am.  To get at least 5 to 6 hours of fishing in, we'll need to launch as early as possible.  Especially if there is any kind of south wind.  The current near shore will go slack earlier.  If we can launch by 7am, the current will be ripping south and should get us out of the conservation zone in less than 30 minutes.  Probably a lot faster. 

Now its a matter of what we want to fish.  I prefer kings.  Mainly because more likely to incidentally catch a halibut salmon fishing than vice a versa.  Depending on how much head way we make south, my inclination is to troll south for as long as we can.  Then at slack, we can fish some butts and gauge how fast we are moving back up North and adjust troll direction accordingly. 

I don't plan to Anchor so you don't need heavy weights.  My biggest concern fishing the kelp is that from a power boat we upsize our gear due to potential tangles.  But from a yak, you are risking cutting off a lot of line if you can't break it off when you snag up. Still debating how I am going to handle that. 

I'm going to run 25 test mono to a 30 pound flouro carbon leader for my downrigging, light rod.  65 pound spectra to 50 pound flouro carbon for my jigging stick.  I'm not anchoring so I plan to run light sinkers in the 6oz to 10oz range even for the halibut.  I will bring it but I think my main choice is going to be not to fish with the downrigger.  I think we will be plenty shallow enough and a sinker trolling rig allows me to immediately drop to the bottom for Halibut or bottom fish.  I'm a little concerned about the downrigger cables and kelp.

If we get lucky, it could mean 4 out of 10 species for AOTY.  Kings, Halibut, Greenling, and flounder.  Frankly my goal as far as AOTY points is concerned is to get on the board with a decent Greenling.  I think I can catch bigger flounder later in the year (starry or arrowtooth) and bigger kings and butts a bit later in the year.  But I think this trip is as good as any to catch a really nice greenling in the kelp area.   

PKZ140-200300-
COOK INLET NORTH OF KAMISHAK BAY AND ENGLISH BAY
400 AM AKDT THU APR 19 2012
.TODAY...NE WIND 10 KT BECOMING N 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 3 FT.
.TONIGHT...NW WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.FRI...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT BECOMING W 10 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 FT.
.FRI NIGHT...W WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.SAT...SW WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
.SUN...NE WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Just curious....how far is this haul you speak of?

Tell me a time and place, and I'll be there.

I'm a wimp.  It won't be bad.  I bet its less than a quarter mile looking at the tides.  It can be very long if its at max low and you need to make several trips.  If we land at high tide, its more like 50 yards from the vehicles. 

It's all beach.  The beach there unlike Whiskey Gulch is VERY flat. 

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!

If we launch at 7am, it won't be max low.  But watch.  We will leave our first load by the water and if we need to run back to the vehicles, by the time you get back, the water will be another 50 yards away.  lol.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Launch site...I hope its plowed....

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
Well I got picked for jury panel. So already having bad luck. Hopefully that doesn't carry  into fishing! The good news is I'm cleared till Monday. So I'm packing now, leaving tonight and will be fishing Friday, Saturday and possibly Sunday.

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
So where are we going to meet?  What time?

9th place 2014 ORC

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
I'm guessing we'll just meet at anchor point. Sounds like we need to be launching at 7 so get there as early as you need to for a 7 am departure. I'll probably be there at 6 or so. I'll probably even camp there Friday night. Can you come fishing Friday kenai guy?

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
Work all day and dinner plans with a female tomorrow night.  Usually I would, but this is a weird weekend.

9th place 2014 ORC

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Safety first -- and have lots of fun you guys! I envy you the opportunity. It's not realistic for me to join in this weekend.  So I'll wait for the full report, and build on that for next weekend.  I'll be eager to see how the bite is. 

Oh, rats.  Responsibility is so darn over-rated.

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
Growing up sucks, but it sucks less in a Hobie

9th place 2014 ORC

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Work all day and dinner plans with a female tomorrow night.  Usually I would, but this is a weird weekend.

What? Where are your priorities man!?!?!  Lol. I jest. Though I do have a "friend" flying in from NY early Thursday before the derby staying for a week. She gets to spend her first couple of days holed up in Anchor Point.  Haha...and I wonder why I'm single....

The good news is the weather looks to be holding for the weekend! 

Hey Kenai guy. I'm not showing any Of my PM's at sent to you in my sent box.  So just in case... Heck ya bring your camera! Cuz if you catch a bigger fish for AOTY points, I'm not gonna provide the proof photos! Again I jest.

I'll be packing three gopros. One worn. One set up hopefully to send down on my line, and maybe I'll mount one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com