Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2026, 04:58:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Gearing up for Halibut  (Read 5163 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

The Murf

  • Perch
  • ***
  • Hobie PA
  • Location: Whidbey Island
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 64
The Hali fishing that we discussed the other weekend will require 12oz. or more in Admiralty Inlet.  Deception Pass will require 16oz or more.  As stated before the stronger the current, the more weight you will need to get to the bottom and stay on the bottom while keeping a good line angle.  They are expensive but i would pick up a Mudraker($14.99), they are great jigs that will get you on the bottom and they have a bait scent keeper that will help attract the bite.


Northwoods

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Formerly sumpNZ
  • Location: Sedro-Woolley, WA
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
  • Posts: 2308
I'm selling some more firewood, so hopefully in the next week or so I'll have a bit of cash with which to gear up.  If I'm really lucky I'll be able to get a fish finder too.

Hoping to be ready for the first day.  What's your schedule looking like for the 3rd and 4th?   Tides look decent for an after work (3-4PM) launch.
Formerly sumpNZ
2012 ORC 5th Place



Lee

  • Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Location: Graham, WA
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
  • Posts: 6091
What do you guys think of this website's tackle?

http://www.halibut.net/halibut-fishing-tackle.htm

Is he honest?  How's the quality of his tackle?  Would it worth it to get his fully-rigged spreader bar setups or should I make my own?

I didn't add everything up, but I took a look at things at Auburn Sports Marine today, and spreader bars were under $4.  Not rigged though.  Depending on your budget and the amount of free time you have, $30 for a delivered fully-rigged setup sounds decent.

Edit:  They also had jig heads in 6/8/10/12/16/24 ounces.  24 ounce were under $8.
 


The Murf

  • Perch
  • ***
  • Hobie PA
  • Location: Whidbey Island
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 64
I wont be able to do the 3rd(thursday) or the 4th(friday), but you cant bet your life on finding me out at Admiralty Inlet the 5th and 6th(saturday and sunday). 


Northwoods

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Formerly sumpNZ
  • Location: Sedro-Woolley, WA
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
  • Posts: 2308
I'll plan on meeting you out there on the 5th then.  Expecially without my own fishfinder I figure it's best to wait until there's someone else to fish with. 

You'll be fishing for lings on the 6th I assume?
Formerly sumpNZ
2012 ORC 5th Place



The Murf

  • Perch
  • ***
  • Hobie PA
  • Location: Whidbey Island
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
  • Posts: 64
I'll be fishing whatever the regs allow on Sunday but Hali's on Saturday for sure!!!