Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 05:38:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:50:54 PM]

[Today at 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Fish Tacos?  (Read 5464 times)

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Back to fish taco's ;D

I like these, its a great starting point. 

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=346

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Yo AJ, your recipe sounds delicious.  I'm gonna give it a go.  The part I don't get is this...

...Add to it one half shallot, a quarter clove garlic, one small serrano pepper, one small roma tomato, and a bit of cilantro...

Adding the roma tomato seems like it would create a salsa-like substance.   Is this just a fish marinade or do you leave it on as much as possible when rolling in the dry goods?
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
It's more of a marinade, really.  I don't deliberately try to keep an adherence of the wet ingredients when tossing the fish into the dry.  And yeah, it is kind of a salsa goo that you're marinating it in.  My processor pretty much vaporizes the tomato, anyway.  It's a cheap, Black Friday, Target model that I inherited.  You could certainly omit the tomato, as it just lends a subtle essence.  And maybe some additional acid.  But you get lots of acid with the lime juice.  Really, I think that I just had some Romas laying around, tossed one in, and never looked back. 

You could always sub in the consumption of an additional Tecate instead.  Your choice.
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

Rory

• Sturgeon
I'll give it a try - thanks!
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I'll have to substitute some gluten-free flour for the wheat so the rest of my family can eat them, but that does sound yummy! 
2012 ORC 5th Place

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
Sumpnz, I have tried this in a weird dietary experiment.  DO NOT, under any circumstance, use Bob's all purpose, GF flour. 

It imparted a really filthy taste to the whole thing.  The garbanzo component really does not jive with the other ingredients.  The result was....tangy.  In a bad way.  If you stumble upon a GF flour that works well in the general recipe, let us know.
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
We've been avoiding Bob'd Red Mill for quite a while.  If you can find it Pamelas is far superior.  Namaste also makes some good blends.  I'll have to try those with the taco receipe.  Friday is fish day at Casa de Sump.  I'll see if the rest of the household wants to try something like this.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Give bisquick GF a try.  It's usually with the other baking goods, and not in the GF section, but it does exist. 

Oh, and the Louisianna fish fry is GF as well.  It's corn based.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:53:40 PM by Lee »

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
We've done the Bisquick GF pancake mix a few times.  SWMBO likes it, though the consistency is different from the others. I'll have to see if I can find that LA fish fry mix.

We usually use Pamelas for breading fish for fish-n-chips.
2012 ORC 5th Place

topwater

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
i used tim's jalapeno potato chips crushed up two summers ago on some lingcod and it turned out really good.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
This is what has been coating the fish at the last three ORC's.   :icon_thumright:

When frying, it can be used completely dry as a light coating, a thin/medium liquid coating, or thick as waffle batter.  It all depends on how much breading you desire.  It is fully seasoned, only requires water to prepare it, but beer always adds the proper amount of bubbly to the batter and a hint of extra flavor.

Note: It is NOT Gluten free.

When frying in oil, never let your oil get below 350ºF, as your breading will become soggy and the fish takes forever to cook and will dry out.  I prefer to run my oil kinda deep and around 375-400ºF.  The breading browns and crisps quick so the fish cooks faster as well due in part to the internally captured steam.   

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
If we had a category for Thread of the Month, I'd nominate this one in a heartbeat!

I laughed, I cried, my mouth watered and my gut churned.  *sniff* It was just a beautiful ride!

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Rory

• Sturgeon
Andyjade is a treasure of the northwest.

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I guess I'm just lazy. I use Krusteaz Bake 'n Fry to bread my filets or strips, and then fry 'em on med in a mix of olive oil and butter, in a slightly vented covered pan. Couple minutes per side is good. I use this for making either tacos or sandwiches, or sometimes just as a main course.
ConeHeadMuddler

anything