Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 08:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:18:18 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:59:33 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: filet-o-fish  (Read 2655 times)

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Last evening, on her way out of the house to go to the gym, my wife says, "oh, I took some of your fish out of the freezer.  It's defrosting in the sink, so you might want to do something with it." That's her code for "I hate cooking, but I want to eat, so you make something good for us."

Now, I'm even lazier than her, so even though there is a Fred Meyer supermarket five blocks from my house, I'm not going to shop for fixings. I'm just gonna have to go with what I've got. She had gotten out a ling cod fillet that I caught and vacuum bagged 10 days ago, so that was a good start. I had made burgers the night before, and knew that I had some good Hawaiian bread buns (gift from a friend who works at the Orowheat bakery) in the freezer, so it hit me, I'm gonna make filet-o-fish sandwiches!

I made a egg & milk wash, and a breading of plain bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, Johnny's seasoning salt, and ground red pepper while I put the cast iron skillet on the stove to heat on medium heat.  I made my schmear of a couple of spoonfuls of mayo, a spoonful of dijon mustard, a dab of creamy horseradish, and chopped parsley. I put enough olive oil in the pan to put a heavy film on the bottom, and dipped and breaded the fish. (I had cut the fish into bun sized chunks. Got two out of the front half, and the tail section folded over into one good size and thickness chunk.)

I cooked the fish in the (covered) skillet for about four minutes per side - just enough to get them golden brown and just done all the way through. I really prefer fish under, rather than over, cooked. I schmeared the buns (wish I had plain yogurt so I could have tried RR's sauce, but only had blueberry yogurt on hand) added some spinach leaves, and viola! fish sandwich.

It was excellent! The red pepper added just enough kick (use it carefully) and the ling was just killer. I also cooked some fresh picked green beans from my BIL's garden, and topped it all off with (thornless) blackberries the neighbor planted on our fence for us to share. One of the best dinner's I've done in awhile.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:08:29 AM by sherminator »
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
I love the creativity of cooking with what's around. Sounds delicious sherm!
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

FishPimp

• Rockfish
  • OK Trident 13
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
OK. It's 8am and now I'm craving a fillet-o-fish sandwich.  Thanks!
Water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

maverick

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
 :laughing4:
no cheese no fries? but I guess that'd be filet-n-crap hehe.

sounds yummy, thanks for sharing

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
This sounds delicious. I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
And you consider yourself lazy!? That was a great story, wish I had 10% of your cooking skills.

Last night I chopped veggies for a salad while the bride slapped frozen store bought panko breaded Talapia on a cookie sheet and we hi fived our culinary ambitiousness.

I feel like I just confessed at an AA meeting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

anything