Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 09:07:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 20, 2024, 04:24:50 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 02:19:35 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 01:10:00 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:55:19 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Poll

Do you use a paddle leash?

Yes
No

Topic: Paddle leash ...  (Read 8724 times)

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
well the certain unfortunate individual doesn't have alot of need for a paddle anymore since he is the new owner of a Hobie mirage drive outback :)

ive always wondered about what i would do if i got away from my boat...i try to hold on to it as i fall over (at least the few times i have fallen over)
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
My leash is an integral part of my Huli drill ;D..  My leash is a heavy bungee like "dog leash",  I believe made by Ocean.  I connected it to a short rope (2ft with eyes braided into each end) that is hooked to a pad eye on the very bow of my yak. It is just long enough for me to paddle unfettered but not have any extra in the way.   When I huli in the surf I drop the paddle and protect my head etc.. More often then not the paddle is only a few feet away when I pop up but the yak may be pushed farther by waves.  The paddle drags (sideways as the leash is connected in the middle)  in the water turning the bow of the yak into the waves all by itself, all I have to do is find the floating paddle or leash and pull the yak to me like a puppy on a string. It is very helpful when you huli in surf where it is to deep to stand

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
My leash is an integral part of my Huli drill ;D..  My leash is a heavy bungee like "dog leash",  I believe made by Ocean.  I connected it to a short rope (2ft with eyes braided into each end) that is hooked to a pad eye on the very bow of my yak. It is just long enough for me to paddle unfettered but not have any extra in the way.   When I huli in the surf I drop the paddle and protect my head etc.. More often then not the paddle is only a few feet away when I pop up but the yak may be pushed farther by waves.  The paddle drags (sideways as the leash is connected in the middle)  in the water turning the bow of the yak into the waves all by itself, all I have to do is find the floating paddle or leash and pull the yak to me like a puppy on a string. It is very helpful when you huli in surf where it is to deep to stand

PP, I like.  Going to have to try that out.

-Allen

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
My leash is an integral part of my Huli drill ;D..  My leash is a heavy bungee like "dog leash",  I believe made by Ocean.  I connected it to a short rope (2ft with eyes braided into each end) that is hooked to a pad eye on the very bow of my yak. It is just long enough for me to paddle unfettered but not have any extra in the way.   When I huli in the surf I drop the paddle and protect my head etc.. More often then not the paddle is only a few feet away when I pop up but the yak may be pushed farther by waves.  The paddle drags (sideways as the leash is connected in the middle)  in the water turning the bow of the yak into the waves all by itself, all I have to do is find the floating paddle or leash and pull the yak to me like a puppy on a string. It is very helpful when you huli in surf where it is to deep to stand

It was either you or mcdc that told me about this when I 1st got my yaks.  That was some of the best advice I've gotten.  It really works and puts you in a perfect position to recover!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Fishboy

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Pelagic: A pilgrim thanks for your post. I keep seeing the word huli, which I take to mean you get dumped out of your ride. I also see it in connection with "when" and not "if."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 08:14:41 AM by Fishboy »

HBH

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
what about a leash on your poles?  i think its a good idea but how do you keep the leash from hampering your casting etc?  i try to bungee my poles down in the holders in case i go over but i worry about the leash affecting my use of the pole (obviously i havent used a leash yet nor have i lost a pole yet...YET)  i also worry about "going huli" and getting caught up in all those leashes wrapping their uggly tentacles around my legs and dragging me to davey jones' locker...at least if i leash myself to the kayak they can find me  :angel4:

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I move the carabiner on my rod leash to the elastic zipper retainer on my PFD when I am using a particular rod and leave the other attached to my deck rigging.

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
  i also worry about "going huli" and getting caught up in all those leashes wrapping their uggly tentacles around my legs and dragging me to davey jones' locker...at least if i leash myself to the kayak they can find me  :angel4:

Two words: River Knife
or Serrated Edge
or Don't do that!
(ok, that was three)
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

anything