Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:13:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:24:50 PM]

[Today at 02:19:35 PM]

[Today at 01:10:00 PM]

[Today at 11:40:28 AM]

[Today at 10:55:19 AM]

[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: 12 volt power supplies  (Read 15350 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
You don't need it to protect the FF, you need it to protect against a short circuit. Even 8 AA batteries that are shorted will create a RED HOT cutting wire, melting thru your hull! Inline fuse holders cost about 2 bucks and take less than 5 minutes to rig up. It takes longer to get the beer needed for a proper installation!

I keep picturing an episode of myth busters, NWKA style.  Not saying you're wrong troutnut, just that I'd like to do this experiment and capture it on video.   ;D

Welcome!!!

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I had a smaller battery (12v 8.8AH) which was nice since it was light but recently have come to hate the bugger. It lasts about 7 hours which should be enough but there are times when it isn't. Or I forget to charge it.. ::) Having the FF die while fishing is crappo to say the least. So I've gone back to the big brick (12v 8AH) and loving it again. Yes it sucks because it's huge but I've used it three times w/o charging and it's still running @ 11V. BTW got it here: http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=40

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
I had a smaller battery (12v 8.8AH) which was nice since it was light but recently have come to hate the bugger. It lasts about 7 hours which should be enough but there are times when it isn't. Or I forget to charge it..  Having the FF die while fishing is crappo to say the least. So I've gone back to the big brick (12v 8AH) and loving it again.

i'm confused...what kind of battery was the 12v 8.8AH?

you don't have to buy all those batteries from a kayak or fishing store...i went to allied battery in georgetown and paid 12 bucks for a floating charger and 17 bucks for a 8 amp hour 12 volt...they have anything you can think of as far as batteries go...and they are in stock
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
you don't have to buy all those batteries from a kayak or fishing store...

Nope but buying one from them ensures shops like Hook1 stay in business and in turn keep gear that we need in stock and the companies making kayak fishing gear in business and innovating new products etc etc.. You see where I'm going. ;)

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
true...but i wanted mine today ;)

not to mention it is like 1/4 mile from work
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

troutnut

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2009
You don't need it to protect the FF, you need it to protect against a short circuit. Even 8 AA batteries that are shorted will create a RED HOT cutting wire, melting thru your hull! Inline fuse holders cost about 2 bucks and take less than 5 minutes to rig up. It takes longer to get the beer needed for a proper installation!

I keep picturing an episode of myth busters, NWKA style.  Not saying you're wrong troutnut, just that I'd like to do this experiment and capture it on video.   ;D

Welcome!!!

-Allen

Simple and cheap to do... get a regular 9 volt battery, (buy a new one for your smoke detector in the hall and use that old one) , take a piece of 16 or 18 gauge wire, attach it to both posts and lay the wire on a Tupperware container in the kitchen and prepare for the meltdown! You better have the camera on and filming because it gets redhot in seconds! The coating melts off the wire, melts thru the Tupperware, and continues to melt until either the wire breaks, the battery shorts out internally, explodes, or runs out of juice.

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
How are folks securing their 12V bricks in/on the boat?  I've got a T13A.  I've tried lashing it to a scupper, but it seems like it would eventually work loose.  I am considering the double stick mounting tape and some velcro strips to just stick it up in the bow (or stern if I install the 4" hatch). 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

EOB

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
The bag suspended in the nose of your boat is made for batteries.  I think anyway ??? I have about ten hours on my 14.4 volt Dewalt cordless drill battery and it still hasn't died.  That was a long enough test for me so I put it back on the charger and it charges in about thirty minutes.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
How are folks securing their 12V bricks in/on the boat?  I've got a T13A.  I've tried lashing it to a scupper, but it seems like it would eventually work loose.  I am considering the double stick mounting tape and some velcro strips to just stick it up in the bow (or stern if I install the 4" hatch). 

Why try and reinvent the wheel, just stick it in the battery bag up front.  Fits just fine.   :)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006

Welcome!!!

-Allen

Simple and cheap to do... The coating melts off the wire, melts thru the Tupperware, and continues to melt until either the wire breaks, the battery shorts out internally, explodes, or runs out of juice.

Sorry, not this time. :nono:
Here's the helmet, somebody else can be the stuntman! ;D
It ain't me.

I had a smaller battery (12v 8.8AH) which was nice since it was light but recently have come to hate the bugger. It lasts about 7 hours which should be enough but there are times when it isn't. Or I forget to charge it.. ::)
Z

Zee, did you mean the 3.8 ah NiMH? I suspected that they'd be short lived (especially adding a GPS).

I've looked at the smaller gel cell bricks 12V 2.3AH and 3.4AH, but for the small amount of weight savings, I didn't bother. In the scheme of things, that extra couple of pounds is insignificant. Just pack a bit less "extra" gear to compensate.

"Emergency Power"

In a pinch two 6V lantern batteries (the ones with the springs on the top) wired in series, will get you going and you can find them almost anywhere. They are especially handy when you forgot to charge the sealed lead acid batt or left it at home. ::) Even the cheapest, non-alkaline, batteries (usually <$8 for two) work really well for a few days. Just hang the center spring of one battery around the outside spring of the second battery and attach the ff leads to the other two springs. While your at the Mart, get a tupperware container to put them in or if your in Zee's condition, baby wipes refill boxes make perfect containers.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:35:42 AM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

demonick

• Sturgeon
The bag suspended in the nose of your boat is made for batteries.  I think anyway ??? I have about ten hours on my 14.4 volt Dewalt cordless drill battery and it still hasn't died.  That was a long enough test for me so I put it back on the charger and it charges in about thirty minutes.

Why try and reinvent the wheel, just stick it in the battery bag up front.  Fits just fine.   :)

Wait.  There's a battery bag in the bow?  I never saw a battery bag in the bow when I stuffed in the beach ball.
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006

Wait.  There's a battery bag in the bow?  I never saw a battery bag in the bow when I stuffed in the beach ball.

Look in the other direction  ;)
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
i saw the battery bag in question on Bsteves but i havent seen one on anyone elses and i dont think WR T-15A came with one either. and my T-13 didnt come with one either. But i did have the new Scupper whole for the Transducer.

i think its just cause B is special.. hehehehe  ;D ;D :laugh: :laugh:
"Life is short lets go fishing"

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
this is supposition, but i think you'll only see the battery bag in question in the "retail" units. my T15 was a demo boat, and squidgirls T13 is a factory blem unit [had to look hard to find those, btw] so i suspect that those do not get the bag.

OK Pro staff?? how close am i to the mark?
[WR]
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

demonick

• Sturgeon
My T13A is a retail unit with the transducer scupper, and no battery bag.
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

anything