Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:15:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Portland Crew Roll Call  (Read 123656 times)

Snarf

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Greetings from Shane (Snarf).  Purchased an '08 Hobie outback last summer. Spent most of my time on the Gilbert river after the purchase. I am very new to kayaking and not much better in the fishing category. The Gilbert river has a variety of species.  I caught sturgeon, smallmouth, walleye,bullhead cats, channel cats, yellow cats, carp, suckers, and sole/flounder.  The variety of fish is what brings me back.  I  put in at Sturgeon lake once and caught several catfish and a 28 inch carp. The cats were all pretty small. Looking to expand my fishing knowledge while safely learning to kayak in different conditions.

I am in the paper industry (Wauna Mill). Wife and 2 kids- Son starts a Cornell in the fall as a freshman (Don't ask me how) daughter starts high school next year. My wife  works at Oregon Chain in their advertising dept.

Hope to get together with NWKA at some of the events coming up.  Still need to rig up the yak.  Torn between getting a fish finder and a drysuit at this point.  The info I've read to date has helped me quite a bit. Knowledge shared is great thing!!

For those of you who don't know, Gilbert river and Sturgeon lake are both on Sauvie Island.  Hope to get to know a whole whack of you in the future.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Welcome aboard Tex!

What model of WS are you paddling?

As for Fish with a high fun ratio, your best best would be stocked trout and small mouth bass.  Between the two species a person doesn't have to travel very far or fish very hard to have a fun day.

Try posting yak specific questions in the Kayak Shed and once the weather warms a bit I'm sure you can find someone to show around a lake or river nearby.  Just post your request for company  on the Oregon board.

-Spot-  
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Hey Snarf,  did I meet you last year at the Gilbert River boat ramp?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Snarf

• Rockfish
I don't think we have met. I've talked with several people at the boat ramp but they were more interested in the fact that I was fishing from a kayak.  I've had no conversations with other kayak anglers in person.  I'd like to though!!

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
Welcome to both of you. The Portland area has really been blooming with kayak fishing lately. Many of us have only been here a year or two.

Torn between getting a fish finder and a drysuit at this point. 

If I was making this choice, based on an entire year of experience  ;D, I'd opt for the dry suit. This will allow you to fish anytime, anywhere around here. A FF helps but you can catch a lot without one as well.

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Snarf

• Rockfish
That's the way I'm leaning (Drysuit).  Believe it or not with the economy in tatters my company (Georgia Pacific) is giving bonuses in the next couple of weeks!  What the wife don't know will hurt me!! ;)   

I'm itching to get out again but the H20 is a nogo without protection of some sort.  I've yet to make an unscheduled exit,  I can't believe how stable my outback is.  I'm 6'2" and 250lbs and have a nervous/healthy respect for that which can keep me from the ones I love.  Still trying to figure if I want to go one piece or to for the outerwear.  The web site has given me more and more to consider!

ryobi1

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Ryan from Tualatin.  Just picked up a Malibu X-13

TXPaddler

• Rockfish
Thanks Spot and Steelheadr. Spot, to answer your question I have a 13 foot Wilderness System Ride, I don't see many of these though.

When does everyone start getting out? Are there any set paddles times during the week when everyone that can make it meets to fish?
“When a man's best friend is his dog, that dog has a problem”

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
When does everyone start getting out? Are there any set paddles times during the week when everyone that can make it meets to fish?

Wait, when did they stop?  ;D  There's no regular hook-up but like I said, post a notice that you want to fish and there's a good chance others will join you.  This time of year most of the fishing is low percentage but huge payoff (Steelhead, Sturgeon, Salmon)

I don't think we have met. I've talked with several people at the boat ramp but they were more interested in the fact that I was fishing from a kayak.  I've had no conversations with other kayak anglers in person.  I'd like to though!!

When you get your cold water groove on, hit me up.  The Gilbert River boat ramp has been berry berry good    to me!  I can't wait to start trolling for Springers there!!!!

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:

steelheadr

• Sturgeon
  • Peterberger Adventures

When you get your cold water groove on, hit me up.  The Gilbert River boat ramp has been berry berry good    to me!  I can't wait to start trolling for Springers there!!!!

I've been out twice already to MC. Just trying to get a jump on the early springers. No bites or nibbles yet. Soon though....
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Hello everybody...I'm new to the site and I'm new to kayaking.

I live in Mt. Angel which is about 30-35 minutes from Portland. I just bought a sand colored, 2009 OK Trident 13 Angler. Can't wait to meet some fellow kayak anglers!

My name is Chris btw.
Chris

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Hello everybody...I'm new to the site and I'm new to kayaking.

I live in Mt. Angel which is about 30-35 minutes from Portland. I just bought a sand colored, 2009 OK Trident 13 Angler. Can't wait to meet some fellow kayak anglers!

My name is Chris btw.

Welcom aboard Chris!

There are some good threads for new kayak fishers active at the moment.  Check em out and feel free to ask questions!
Safety:
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2446.0.html
Must Haves:
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2449.0.html
Local PDX Hook-Ups
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2433.0.html

Hey Brian,

Might be time for that PDX area meet and greet we talked about last year.

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Hey Brian,

Sounds good to me.  Any ideas about a location? 

One the water at Hagg Lake? Or maybe just lunch/happy hour someplace?

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

steelheadr

• Sturgeon
  • Peterberger Adventures
Hagg Lake opened for fishing today. I bet it is crazy out there

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Hey Brian,

Sounds good to me.  Any ideas about a location? 

One the water at Hagg Lake? Or maybe just lunch/happy hour someplace?

Brian

Some ideas:

-Piggyback it on the Paddling Class
-Willamette Park
-Haag Lake
-Bring a few rigged kayaks along so people can get ideas and ask questions
-Bring along some NWKA stickers and T-Shirts for distribution

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results: