Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2024, 12:18:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 24, 2024, 10:50:19 PM]

[May 24, 2024, 10:50:02 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 06:36:26 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 07:06:28 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:37:37 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:35:15 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:33:32 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Buddy system  (Read 6440 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I'd say this topic has been very informative and opens the door of thought for newbies (including myself) to get a feel for how different the kayak world is. 
I really appreciate the honest and direct approach to the reality of taking responsibility of yourself seriously. 

I am a very social person, so being around others for the direct chitchat, smack talk, camaraderie and competition is part of the fun.  Solitude is also nice when I want to be away from people like me and just have some "zen" time with what I am doing.   I find that my "zen" time is usually in the shop fabricating something out of metal.  I can't get in my groove with alot of chatter, therefore prefer to work alone.   Who knows, I may get to be this way with my kayaking on occasion as well. Nothing wrong with that.

I am pretty green in the fishing skills, and more so with kayaking so I am in "sponge" mode trying to soak up as much of the basics as I can to build on my self sufficiency in both fishing and kayaking.  Again I appreciate everyone's input here. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Yakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I'm guessing Insayn, that you are a lot like most of the guys on this forum- there's worklife, homelife, and then there's PLAY.  On the water that translates to alone time but the cool thing about NWKA is the opp for having play with like-minded people.

The responsibility is the practice of self sufficiency.  There is gear to have that helps--VHF radios etc...  And just as important is the time you take to hone or clear the rust off old skills. For me it is doing self rescues --using a sit-in yak, I try to "huli" in different conditions that I might be in throughout the year-fresh and salt water.  Kayak fishing also gives me good reason to stay in reasonable physical shape--sort of anyway.   ::) ;D

The more you practice- the more fun you have  :)

Rob.
There is a thin line between hobby and insanity.

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Yes, everyone should be self sufficient and not dependent on others.  However, does that mean planning and coordinating is a bad thing?  I wouldn't expect anyone to risk their life for me, but does it hurt to agree to stick together, meet back at a certain time, or to check in on the radio occasionally.   If I say I'm going to be back to the beach by 5 pm and by 7 pm no one has seen or heard from me please do me a favor and call the coast guard.

I think basic planning and coordination (i.e. meet up times, planned departure times of people w/in the group, etc...) is essential for a group to function as a group.  Without planning  and coordination you are simply a lone paddler in the same rough area as others...  Being part of a group does have some degree of implied liability for others in the group, for better or worse.  Even when paddling solo I would assume, or at least hope, that people have some sort of plan that they have communicated to someone not on the outing as well. 

I bought a VHF for communicating with the group as much as I did for emergency assistance/aid.  I do enjoy fishing with a partner or group from time to time, but I don't explicity seek someone for the majority of my outings.  I have never really considered fishing a social activity in and of itself, so I don't find it at all odd that many of us hit the water solo more so than traditional paddlers might.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I'm guessing Insayn, that you are a lot like most of the guys on this forum- there's worklife, homelife, and then there's PLAY. 

Yes, you are correct.  I have many a hobby, and this is a new one for me.  Eating fresh seafood is one of my hobbies, and being able to get fish on the BBQ is one of my main motivations here.   

Kayak fishing also gives me good reason to stay in reasonable physical shape--sort of anyway.   ::) ;D

I feel am in reasonable physical shape,  "round" is a physical shape, correct?  ;D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I have a fishing buddy who bought a Revo last fall, we fish together sometimes but are not usually in close proximity.  But we stay in touch with VHF is we wander.
  My wife is right now buying a Revo, so I will get my #1 fishing partner on the water!  Somewhere there's a copy of our wedding invitation---it's a pic of us at Point No Point with a couple 12# kings in hand, titled "Fishing Buddies Tie the Knot"!!! 
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Somewhere there's a copy of our wedding invitation---it's a pic of us at Point No Point with a couple 12# kings in hand, titled "Fishing Buddies Tie the Knot"!!! 

Dude, That Rocks!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

HBH

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
this is a great thread...couple more thoughts...i think the reasoning behind the "mandatory buddie system" with the regular ocean going kayak crowd is because they are doing insane things like crossing large bodies of water with much traffic and current etc...some of the craziest thing i have seen is a pod of newbie sea kayakers crossing a major traffic channel in the middle of heavy weather (nuts!)...i go kayak fishing mostly for the isolation and quiet but if i am over due i know i have options like a vhf or cell or my wife calling the CG...if i go with someone else/group i think its normal to stay in some form of communications so we dont end up in a false panic search and rescue