Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 12:36:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: A new addition....  (Read 3083 times)

mtom938

• Rockfish
  • OK Trident T13 Camo w/ HB 597 HD DI Combo
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Just picked up this little gem from Wallys for 50 bucks.  Dare I say Okuma has made a "disposable" trolling reel?  I say that because I plan to use this heavily out on the Clay Banks.  Anybody have any experiences with the MA-20DX?   :banjo:
"I am haunted by waters...."      -Norman MacLean

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
The reel works well as a conventional reel, I have caught a few kings on it as well as plenty of ocean fish and a huge mess of sturgeon. The line counter stopped working a while back but the rest of the reel has been solid. It's definitely an inexpensive reel, but as long as your expectations are in line with that then you should be happy.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

mtom938

• Rockfish
  • OK Trident T13 Camo w/ HB 597 HD DI Combo
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
"The reel works well as a conventional reel, I have caught a few kings on it as well as plenty of ocean fish and a huge mess of sturgeon. The line counter stopped working a while back but the rest of the reel has been solid. It's definitely an inexpensive reel, but as long as your expectations are in line with that then you should be happy."

Thanks Matt!  Oh I'm definitely a "you get what you pay for" realist so I think things should work ok with it.  The line counter issue might warrant an autopsy when she gives up the ghost...?
"I am haunted by waters...."      -Norman MacLean

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Nice find.

I've noticed the line counter reset button tends to stick a little bit.  A little flick and it seems to pop back up.  For WELL UNDER $100, who cares!  The fishfinder tells you exactly how deep you are anyway.
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I had 4 of those Magda Pro reels which I used for trolling and ice fishing.  I found them to be pretty satisfactory, but after a couple of years of hard use most of them crapped out or had to be repaired. Getting repair parts for a reel is a hassle.  Now I'm mostly using a couple of Okuma Convector CW-203D line counter reels, which is a bigger and nicer-to-use inexpensive reel, and which are holding up better.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:20:25 AM by pmmpete »

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Pete, is it easier paddling in the snow?  Watching the weather report, lol.

Okuma Convector CW-203D line counter reels

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/okuma-cold-water-line-counter-reel.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwYfuv9XU1gIVRl9-Ch2n2ACqEAQYAyABEgKqsfD_BwE

$95 looks interesting but don't really see if it's a saltwater reel.  This is mentioned, but...
"•Lightweight, corrosion-resistant frame & sideplate"
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:37:54 AM by Trident 13 »

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

Thanks Matt!  Oh I'm definitely a "you get what you pay for" realist so I think things should work ok with it.  The line counter issue might warrant an autopsy when she gives up the ghost...?

Oh it would definitely be worth looking into fixing, and I probably will next time I take it apart anyways, it's just that at this point I don't care enough to pull it apart to try and fix it. I have a suspicion that some salt water probably got in the line counter area and bugged it up. Probably just needs a cleaning. I will say that I've been using the Okuma "Coldwater" line of reels more and more though. Fisherman's marine here locally runs them on sale for ~$60 once or twice a year and I always pick up a couple. (at least I have been.)
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
A paddle kayak makes a good ice fishing sled with a built-in seat, but a pedal kayak doesn't work well on the ice.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
One of my surviving Okuma Magda Pro reels in action on the ice.  I also have an Okuma Coldwater line counter reel, which is the same size as the Magda Pro but with higher quality construction.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:32:20 AM by pmmpete »

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Thanks for bringing this up. I'm looking at picking up one of the left-handed Okuma linecounter reels now for trolling. I've somewhat ruled out the Magda due to it not having instant anti-reverse. I'm OK with spending a bit more since this will be my only linecounter reel and it will have to work reliably. The Cold Water and low profile Cold Water reels are effectively two different price points, so in escalating price they have the Convector ($70+), Cold Water ($95+), and Cold Water Low Profile ($110+). I have never owned a linecounter reel before.If I'm going to use it occasionally for kayak fishing from kokanee/trout up to salmon, what might make it worth moving up to the Cold Water from the Convector, and same for CW to CW low profile?

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
One of the Convector reels will work fine.  Stick it on an Ugly Stick Medium Heavy trolling rod, and you'll be ready to roll (or troll) with a minimum of financial pain.