Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 03:42:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: new PFD  (Read 7214 times)

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
How Ya'll are!?
 Haven't posted much lately, but I'm still readin' em all every morning.
I saw a post on the NCKA site about 20 reasons long as to why I should NOT be using my Mustang inflatable (manual)
PFD on the water.
 So, what are the most liked models out there this year? I do need storage for the VHF and GPS. The fishin' gear I keep on the boat not me.
 What are you using now and do you like it or not for what reasons would be very helpful to any one looking for a new PFD. (Like me)
 I hope all had a great winter, and Floatin sold his place and moved closer to the big pond.
 Thanks to all at NWKA
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I've been using one of my old Extrasport canoe vests w/ my kayak (think it is 16 pounds of floatation).  No issues w/ the back thickness for me.

I like secure pockets on my vests... most jackets seem to go the velcro closure route.  I like zippers or snap buckles.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
One thing I'd like to ask the good people @ NWKA is which type of fastener (buckle or zipper) they like in a pfd and why.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
Coming from a whitewater rafting background, I have to disagree on buckles being more reliable than zippers.  Every high end whitewater rafting/kayaking vest I have ever seen is made with zippers (though I've seen some that also have a belt/harness integrated as well). 

I've always heard to avoid clip and buckle jackets for three reasons.... the first is that buckles are usually found on cheaper jackets with less floatation (they are designed to be easy and convinient to get in and out of, but not to keep your head above water in serious current).  A second is that most of these jackets only have 3 or 4 buckles, and are designed to be "one size fits all."  This kind of works, but it makes it hard to get a really snug, comfortable fit (meaning that if you ever need to be lifted out of swift current by your pfd, which is what swiftwater pfds are in part designed for, it is more likely to pull over your head.) 

The third is that the snap buckles used in these jackets tend to loosen over time (meaning that even if you get a good snug fit when you adjust the jacket, because you are always fiddling with the buckles, they might not be so tight on day 4 of your Owyhee trip.)

The one exception to this I am aware of are the big high-float jackets with the collars used by commercial rafting guides.  Those are generally preferred when guiding clients because they are one size fits all, easier to get on and off (and thus more likely to be worn), and they are idiot-proof (handy when you are taking Joe Schmoe and his family of 6 from Cleveland down the Grand Canyon.)

PFD as rescue harness doesn't really apply to life jackets used for most kayak fishing, but I'd just caution folks against assuming that the big beefy zipper systems found in higher end Extrasport, NRS, MTI, Lotus, etc... pfds are weaker or more prone to failure than buckles.  I've never seen a zipper fail on a whitewater vest, and I have been lifted out of the water by my jackets on several occasions. 

Most important thing is find a pfd that fits your body type and type of use well, and then get it adjusted properly.  I'm sure a quality jacket with buckles will work just fine for kayak fishing,
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 12:43:06 AM by ThreeWeight »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Coming from a whitewater rafting background, I have to disagree on buckles being more reliable than zippers.  Every high end whitewater rafting/kayaking vest I have ever seen is made with zippers (though I've seen some that also have a belt/harness integrated as well). 

I've always heard to avoid clip and buckle jackets for three reasons.... the first is that buckles are usually found on cheaper jackets with less floatation (they are designed to be easy and convinient to get in and out of, but not to keep your head above water in serious current).  A second is that most of these jackets only have 3 or 4 buckles, and are designed to be "one size fits all."  This kind of works, but it makes it hard to get a really snug, comfortable fit (meaning that if you ever need to be lifted out of swift current by your pfd, which is what swiftwater pfds are in part designed for, it is more likely to pull over your head.) 

The third is that the snap buckles used in these jackets tend to loosen over time (meaning that even if you get a good snug fit when you adjust the jacket, because you are always fiddling with the buckles, they might not be so tight on day 4 of your Owyhee trip.)

The one exception to this I am aware of are the big high-float jackets with the collars used by commercial rafting guides.  Those are generally preferred when guiding clients because they are one size fits all, easier to get on and off (and thus more likely to be worn), and they are idiot-proof (handy when you are taking Joe Schmoe and his family of 6 from Cleveland down the Grand Canyon.)

PFD as rescue harness doesn't really apply to life jackets used for most kayak fishing, but I'd just caution folks against assuming that the big beefy zipper systems found in higher end Extrasport, NRS, MTI, Lotus, etc... pfds are weaker or more prone to failure than buckles.  I've never seen a zipper fail on a whitewater vest, and I have been lifted out of the water by my jackets on several occasions. 

Most important thing is find a pfd that fits your body type and type of use well, and then get it adjusted properly.  I'm sure a quality jacket with buckles will work just fine for kayak fishing,

Ditto.  Especially the last paragraph.

I might also add to be aware of what's on the front of your PFD, especially when you're practicing your self rescue.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Extrasport has 2 new fishing PFD's out this year.

The Sturgeon:

The Striper:

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Extrasport has 2 new fishing PFD's out this year.

The Sturgeon:

Nice points guys. I've always had a PFD w/ a zipper and buckle at the waist. The main reason I chose it was when trying on a bunch @ REI I realized the fit just seemed a little more snug and comfy. I was talking over the pro's and con's about buckle and zipper fasteners w/ the girl helping me when there was CRUNCH. I looked down and while sifting through the PFD's I'd stepped on a buckle. She was way cool and let it go but she said "you better buy one w/ a zipper cuz obviously you and buckles don't get along."  :P

I am in the market for a new PFD and Loving the Sturgeon PFD! Can't wait to try it on. It looks like it's be comfy w/ the high back and the buckles across the back.

Alkasazi, does your shop carry these?

Z
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 11:46:25 AM by Zeelander »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
This thread inspired me to do some research this afternoon.

I'm now a fan of this guy:

Stohlquist Fisherman High Back, with two lash tabs, a built in retractor for line nippers, and some neat pockets for carrying hemostats, tippet, and small fly/tackle boxes, reflective tape, and adjustment straps that are designed to minimize riding up.

For folks who want a quality jacket with buckles, the MTI Calcutta might be worth looking into:

They make of a version of it with zippers called the "Dorado".  These are relatively inexpensive jackets ($50 bucks).  I have two MTI high-float rafting jackets that I absolutely love... most comfortable big water PFD's I've ever worn.

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
When you get yours in, please post and tell us how you like it.  I'm considering getting one for myself at some point.

Have you had your Big Game out on the water yet?  Our new one is florescent orange tie-die color, and has yet to get wet.

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
Ok, so I have not gotten my new PFD yet...I am going to be in Portland soon, where is a good place in town (or close by) to find a large selection to try on?
This is a rare occasion for me....leaving town and all, I hope to make the most of my time in the City.
Thanks to all here, I learn from each and every one of US, each morning with me coffee.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I'm starting some work on product summaries.  I was just starting with PFD's last night and here's the beginning of the work ... http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?page=PFDs

It only includes Extrasport right now, but I'll add all the other PFD's that have been mentioned here and then some.

So give me some feedback before I go hog wild on this.  Does that page look all right.  Suggestions for improvement?  I'll probably add fields linking to discussion topics/review as they come up.  In fact, perhaps I'll add a Product Review category.

-Allen

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
fantastic!
That is perfect, Pole is Da' Man!!
  I hate to spend money without knowing the product. (I'm tight)
 I shopped and compared Yaks for a year before fetchin' up my P-13.
 I wanna put 'em on and feel how they are on my scrawny lil frame.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
backpackers supply in tacoma hooked me up with an MTI that fit way better than the other stuff they had there, right now can't tell ya what model it is, but being my 1st pfd, i took my time and asked a lot of questions that got answered very professionally.

can't say enough about their service and sales there, these are super people to deal with.

pole'pole', that pages looks real good. perfect for our growing in house library.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
Ok, so I have not gotten my new PFD yet...I am going to be in Portland soon, where is a good place in town (or close by) to find a large selection to try on?
This is a rare occasion for me....leaving town and all, I hope to make the most of my time in the City.
Thanks to all here, I learn from each and every one of US, each morning with me coffee.

REI has rolled out their water sports stuff, and they generally have a decent selection (Stohlquist, Extrasport, some MTI).  I'd try the Pearl District store for best selection.

Next best option is probably Next Adventure on Grand Avenue, possibly Andy and Bax just up the street (an Army Surplus store with a huge selection of whitewater rafting/kayak gear in the basement, including a little bit of fishing stuff.)

When are you in Portland?  Perhaps the Portland kayak fishing crew ought to get together for beers somewhere.

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
REI has rolled out their water sports stuff, and they generally have a decent selection (Stohlquist, Extrasport, some MTI).  I'd try the Pearl District store for best selection.

Next best option is probably Next Adventure on Grand Avenue, possibly Andy and Bax just up the street (an Army Surplus store with a huge selection of whitewater rafting/kayak gear in the basement, including a little bit of fishing stuff.)

When are you in Portland?  Perhaps the Portland kayak fishing crew ought to get together for beers somewhere.

If you are interested in the NRS Chinook, Andy and Bax is the only place I found them.  :toothy10:

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

anything