Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 10:29:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:16:37 PM]

[Today at 06:25:14 PM]

[Today at 01:13:47 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:59:33 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:40:13 AM]

by Spot
[May 29, 2024, 11:32:10 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 07:37:19 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 06:19:06 AM]

[May 27, 2024, 09:56:01 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: 6-17-21 PC report  (Read 3383 times)

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
James gave me the best birthday present he could have.  PC has always been my favorite fishing spot but I’ve always wanted to try fly fishing there.  James gave me several flies and after catching my first rockfish on it I am hooked!  Conditions were good and I caught 9 blacks on the fly rod, kept 2, gave one away.  Switched to fishing for lings and caught one I had to throw back.  It was just a superb birthday, beautiful morning on the water, with friends, at PC, catching my first rockfish with fly rod! And I got to see the largest ling I’d ever seen in person!
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

• Date Registered: Jul 2019
Forgive my ignorance on the topic of flyfishing in the salt, but what are you using for a fly? I get the idea of sinking line, but how are you getting deep enough to attract the rockies and lings?

Helium Head

• Lingcod
Based on my one data point, yesterday: Fly was probably no deeper than 10 feet. We were fishing in 2 areas, near a kelp bed right next to Haystack Rock or racing out to where sea birds were gathering above bait balls. Rockfish were attacking from beneath. slowly trolling maybe 25’ behind the kayak.  I want to learn more about this myself so any information is appreciated. It was incredibly fun catching rock fish on a fly.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 07:58:59 PM by Helium Head »

Helium Head

• Lingcod
More pictures of the beast.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008

Great shot HH!  Is it time for a new pic of the month?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 05:15:48 PM by snopro »

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
More like monster of the month picture
Scott

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Heck yeah!

Is it time for a new pic of the month?
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020

Is it time for a new pic of the month?

That's a great picture!
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
More pictures of the beast.

wow!  If these dont get people off there butts and out on the water, nothing will!  What a beast
BTW... congrats on the new pic of the month... I mean monster of the month
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Forgive my ignorance on the topic of flyfishing in the salt, but what are you using for a fly?

These were the flies we were using this week. I used one pattern the first day and the other pattern the second day.  Both seemed to work equally good.  I didn’t try any other patterns this time but I’m sure any similar type fly would work fine.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 06:51:37 PM by Nobaddays »
The two best times to fish is when it’s raining and when it ain’t. -Patrick McManus

Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Aquaholic

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2021
Awesome day on the water congrats  :wav:   Guess I should have played hookie from work after all lol

codeman

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Awesome day on the water congrats  :wav:   Guess I should have played hookie from work after all lol
I cancelled a night of OT so I could go.....was well worth it. With the fish pounding bait on the surface, I was getting multiple triples on black RF just reeling across the surface with a light jig/swimbait and double shrimp flies. Most of the fish were pushing 5# each too! It was epic.....I just wish we would have gotten an earlier start as the wind machine turned on early

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
What can I say, James? I've been trying to break 3 feet this whole time and then you just blow past the 40" mark like it's nothing - WAY TO GO!!! I can't even imagine :)

• Date Registered: Jun 2021
I was just talking about using a flyrod for Rock fishing today at work just for a hoot, and then joined this forum and read this stuff , just wondering how to get the fly to sink that far down, but then saw the top water bite "well there is my answer" I am going to like this place.
The last time I complained, I got a divorce, Haven't complained since

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I was just talking about using a flyrod for Rock fishing today at work just for a hoot, and then joined this forum and read this stuff , just wondering how to get the fly to sink that far down, but then saw the top water bite "well there is my answer" I am going to like this place.

Now you are speaking my language.  I have a lot of fun fishing for rockfish with a fly.  I know there was talk about the rockfish feeding on the surface.  It wasn’t exactly on the surface, but the flies were doing really well in the 10-15’ depth.  I use a fast sinking line and weighted flies.  At both Depoe Bay and Pacific City there are plenty of areas 25’ deep or less that are perfect for fly fishing. 

Also, with you living in Redmond, Nathan at Fin and Fire fly shop is a great resource for fly fishing in the ocean.  He fishes out of a boat, but he is very knowledgeable
The two best times to fish is when it’s raining and when it ain’t. -Patrick McManus

Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.